Charts 8 In-Game Panel Beta Testing

Glad to hear it!

While we do appreciate the feedback, perhaps you’d like to contribute to this thread instead as it is not related to this beta:

I have been trying out V8 beta in game panel and am finding it much slower/less responsive than V7.x in game panel (which I have used a lot). Also finding it harder to locate things like how do I select an approach and toggle to view effect of different transitions. It was easy in V7.x via dropdown. Where as it seems more hidden/less obvious now with the new interface. I am also missing the +/- scale on the main window that could increase/decrease interface size, it’s now only done in settings I think? I’m sure I can figure it out, but the slower response of this version of the panel is the main issue for me, especially when minimising or expanding the panel window, there is a notable lag. Any tips to make it more responsive?

Personally, I haven’t noticed much of the slowness you mention. Maybe because it was a long time since I was using v1.3 and got used to the new version and any slowness compared to the previous version.

As for the UI itself and where/how to find things, I felt like you when I first started using it. Now though, I find it super intuitive and a very nice improvement over the previous version. I love how it pins the relevant charts automatically but also how it makes it very easy to pick your SIDs, STARs and approaches and automatically zoom in a highlight them when they are chosen.

Give it some time and play around with it and I think you’ll start liking it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m running on a 4K screen res which means a lot of the labels for example the coloured ones for stars/approaches etc are not readable. No amount of +/- or zooming in or out helps it always stays illegible (see circled area in attached image).
I guess you are right and the interface just takes a bit of getting used to. Not enjoying the slight lag though. It wasn’t there on v1.3 which was very responsive. I like the new features though, I may just need time to find my way around things as they aren’t as intuitive as v3.1. initially anyway.

Strange, i just scroll my mouse wheel to zoom in ok,

This is great feedback! Could you please create a dedicated topic here (+ New Topic button top right) and fill out the provided template? It would be much appreciated!

Is it a general thing or in certain scenarios? If you can correlate it with certain actions, please point this out in a new topic.

The new application is more advanced and will currently feel a bit slower than the predecessor, but we believe that the improvements make up for it and we do aim to improve the performance going forward!

Kind Regards,
Malte

1 Like

I have just opened a topic on the text scaling on 4K display subject.

The main lag I see is when minimising/maximising the in game panel while flying. It does a stuttery open and a stuttery close. The previous panel was stutter free.
I notice as I do a lot of this during a flight.

How do you minimize / maximize? If you are using the dedicated button in the top bar of the panel, then that will completely reload the panel every time you open it again. This has not always been the case, it was introduced a couple sim updates ago and is super annoying.

If you are using that button, I suggest using the keyboard shortcut instead! Just press Ctrl + N to toggle the visibility of the panel.

The last panel also caused a slight stutter on initial load due to simulator limitations, but with the new version this could be a bit more noticeable due to increased complexity. We’ll work on optimizing the performance as much as we can!

1 Like

Yes I am using the ‘windows’ style window minimise/maximise at the top of the panel as it was fine with older panel. I have just tried the CTRL+N and it is a bit better. I’ll use that in the future. Thanks.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Switching rendering mode (2D/VR) results in sign-out

A post was split to a new topic: Unable to pan charts, scrolling works

A new OTA update has just been released and will be automatically loaded the next time you open the panel!

This version contains two improvements to the panel experience:

• Route elements now scale and should look better on higher resolutions. (topic)
  • Stutters when using moving maps should be greatly reduced (topic)
  • Random signouts should no longer occur (topic)
  • Panning the charts should now be possible again (topic)

Thank you for your much-appreciated feedback, everyone! We hope you’re enjoying the beta so far, and we’re looking forward to getting the new version out of beta.

Kind Regards,
Malte

1 Like

What a great update Malte!

One thing I still struggle with and I’m pretty sure I already reported it but can’t recall if it was in this thread or in a separate thread. When having more pinned charts in VR to fit the window size, even when it looks like a scrollbar at the bottom of the window, I can’t move it using the mouse.

As I recall it, one suggestion was to make the window bigger. That of course can work if there’s only one or two charts not fitting. At the same time, it’s not an optimal solution since you don’t want the window too big in VR. That makes it hard to know where to place it within your VR space to not obstruct too many other things when you have the window open.

Having a working scrollbar would be ideal but if that is not possible due to some MSFS limitations for these VR in-game panel windows, maybe you could add the same custom arrows you have at the top of the window. That allows you to move all the way to the left (your origin) or to the right (your destination. That I think could work also in this case.

Other than this, I’d say what we have now is really top notch!

Do you think that this struggle would be solved by this? If so then that will be done, as soon as we have the resources to do so. Not sure that will be before or after we get out of beta though!

Thanks, will check it out.

Another issue I’ve reported in the past where you mentioned here how it would be fixed in next update.

Not sure what update you were referring to but I just gave it another go and still get the same error message when trying to auto-generate a route after having picked the active runways for my origin and destination.

Hmm, I am not able to reproduce. Let’s reopen the topic!

Very happy to have found out it’s actually possible to move the scrollbar in VR. I thought it was impossible.

What I learned is like that other guy said it’s very important you’re in the exact correct location with you mouse cursor before you try to drag the scrollbar left/right. It seems like you need to have the tip of the arrow just above the upper edge of the scrollbar.

Absolutely brilliant, thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

2 Likes

OK, that’s odd.

I just tried it not long ago, putting in LICJ rwy 25 as my origin and ENVA rwy 27 as my destination and the autoroute feature fails. Removing the runways, all good.