Windows Location/Size Remembering Ability

It is SO ANNOYING that the Windows Application NEVER REMEMBERS its RESIZING and I HAVE TO DO IT EVERY TIME it loads in my sequence of applications via MSFS Add-On Linker… If this is not resolved soon, I must say that you subscription is gone and a free addon called LittleNavMap has really evolved and for some but not all inflation is extremely outpacing income growth thus subscription services are the first to go…

Hi,

Which application are you referring to?

For example, the Navigraph Charts desktop app does remember the window position and size, also on multiple display setups.

Regards,

Stephen

Yes Navigraph charts and it only remembers my location never my resizing upon exit for next use. It is so annoying anymore. Have it on a second monitor above my 55 OLED and it NEVER HAS REMEMBERED it resizing on my 34in ultrawide where I have two programs on being Navigraph Charts split in the middle with another…

There is no need to use caps, we are trying to maintain a respectful conversation with you. We realize that this is annoying to you, but please understand that this is as surprising to us as it is to you.

For some background: Navigraph Charts has been able to persist in its position and size for over a year now, and you are the first to point this out since then. The last related issue that I know about was handled in this topic: Navigraph Opening on "wrong" Monitor

We are not able to reproduce the issue that you are describing, and we have no other reports of this being an issue. That said, we’d like to help if we can!

I use a triple monitor setup with three 27’ screens, and it is all working as expected for me. Here is a “proof” of sorts:

So, for some questions:

• Have you tried reinstalling the application?
  • Do you use any window management software?
  • What OS do you use, macOS or Windows?
  • What kind of scaling settings have you set up for your monitors?
  • What is the resolution of your monitors?

Having answered all these questions, please follow these steps:

1. Press Win + R
  2. Type %appdata%\Navigraph Charts and press enter
  3. Locate window-state.json and click & drag it over to your next post here in the forum to upload it

Let’s try to get this figured out together!

Kind Regards,
Malte

Last related issue that I know about: Have had that many times over ass well

So, for some questions:

• Have you tried reinstalling the application? - Yes

• Do you use any window management software? No

• What OS do you use, macOS or Windows? Win 11 22h2

• What kind of scaling settings have you set up for your monitors? Recommended

• What is the resolution of your monitors? 55" 3840x2160 OLED & 34in Ultrawide 2560x1080 (monitor application is placed and opens in a small window)

Location is actually: C:\Users****\AppData\Roaming\Navigraph Charts and already looked at it and found nothing strange, but perhaps you may

window-state.json (150 Bytes)

Thank you for the answers!

Yes, that is the same path, just longer and specific to your computer :wink: In the path that I sent, the text between the percentage signs are interpreted as a variable, and appdata is equal to C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming on Windows!

Great! However, there should still be a value, such as 120% or similar. And there should be two values - one for each monitor. They could of course be set the same, but I need you to verify this - especially since one of your monitors is 4k while the other is 2k.

If I understand you correctly, you place the Charts application at one of the sides of the smaller 1440p monitor on top of your larger one. Then, when you close the application, it shows up in some other, unexpected position. Is that right? And if so, where does it show up?

Please also follow these steps:

1. Place the Charts app window where you want it
  2. Close the application and upload the window-state.json file
  3. Open the application again - it should open in an unexpected location, not where you left it
  4. Close the application and upload the window-state.json file
  5. Open the application again, the window should still be in the same place
  6. Move the window a tiny little bit, close the application and upload the window-state.json file

Please place the files in chronological order, or point out which file is related to what step, so that I can identify the files correctly.

Kind Regards,
Malte

how do I manually set it to 1080x1080p for that is half of my 2560x1080p 34in Windescreen second monitor instead of going thru all the last statement which was not accurate (smaller 1440p monitor)

Correction: how do I manually set it to 1280x1080p in the window-state.json for that is half of my 2560x1080p 34in Windescreen second monitor instead of going thru all the last statement which was not accurate (smaller 1440p monitor)

I don’t know for sure, but you can try experimenting a bit! I’d start with something like this:

{
  "width": 1280,
  "height": 1080,
  "x": 1280,
  "y": -1080,
  "displayBounds": { "x": 0, "y": -1080, "width": 2560, "height": 1080 },
  "isMaximized": false,
  "isFullScreen": false
}

Save that to the mentioned file and then open Charts. Where does it appear? And does the location change if you close it and then open it again?

In the .json file??? I’ll have to find and redownload a .json editor…

Yes, in the json file! Notepad works fine, no worries! Just replace whatever’s in there.

Will do, thanks! Let you know results

1 Like

Does not work for every navigraph charts is open then closed I must resize… it saves the resizing file at the time of close, however never reads it upon reopening…

Please verify that I understand you correctly:

When you change the file and then open charts, it is in the correct place - but then it resets once the app is closed?

It is supposed to save it when the app is closed. Do the values seem correct (close to what you would enter manually)? You could have a file permission issue of course, but it sounds unlikely given that you report it being able to write to the file without issues…

I can manually set any size I want… The Navigraph charts refuses to read it… I then resize it as it does keep the location correct. After resizing, it rewrites the file… Open Navigraph again, and it ignores the windows-state settings within… Rinse and repeat… I even reinstalled with no luck yet gaian as well as made the windows-state.json a read-only file with no success with the values I always resize to…

Let’s take one thing at a time.

• Were you able to make the change I suggested by opening the file in Notepad and changing the contents?

• If so, did the window appear in a different location the next time you started Charts, or did it still appear in the wrong location?

• If it appeared in the wrong location, where did it appear exactly? Which monitor and at what location?

Kind Regards,
Malte

Let’s take one thing at a time.

• Were you able to make the change I suggested by opening the file in Notepad and changing the contents? YES

• If so, did the window appear in a different location the next time you started Charts, or did it still appear in the wrong location? YES, different then where it closed

• If it appeared in the wrong location, where did it appear exactly? Which monitor and at what location? Monitor 1 (not primary) 34in 2560X1080p in the middle at a default sizee that will shrink on every close

The file is accessed ONLY UPON CLOSURE and disregarded up reopening (10 seconds after I see date and time revised)
I am about to just say this can not be fixed and save me a subscription fee. Do i like your service, yes. Is the fee something I can manage (getting harder).
Seems there is no resolute and I do not have a clue how it will write the file upon close yet ignore it on open. That is just well has to be a coding issue because I locked the changes and yet it ignored the file upon reopening…

This is expected, it should store the location of your window upon closing the app. There should be no other changes to this file unless you toggle fullscreen mode with the F11 key for example.

I am sorry you feel this way! I am as puzzled as you are, we have not been able to reproduce it once on any of our computers, trying different monitor setups. I understand (and share) your frustration!

We have a lot going on at the moment, but tomorrow I will attempt to build a custom version of the app that can spit out some more information about what exact values it can read. Sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime!

Kind Regards,
Malte

Here comes the promised custom build! Before you install it, please follow these steps:

1. Press Win + R
  2. Type %appdata%/Navigraph Charts/logs and press enter
  3. In the Explorer window that opens, locate the main.log file and delete it!

When that is done, please proceed to install the custom version from this file:

Download Navigraph Charts 8.32.0 (Extended window logging)

When installed, you should see this in the settings page:

Now move the window to the right location, close the app, and open it again.
Assuming that the window did indeed end up in the wrong place again, please follow the steps in the beginning of this post to find the log file and upload it in your next post!

Kind Regards,
Malte