Weather status discrepancies

Hello there

Don’t really know if that is a bug or normal, but there are a lot of differences in weather status depending on if I read them on the chart or on the airport detail.

Few examples here :

LFML 24NOV 1443z :
In chart : IFR status
In Airport briefing : MVFR status

LFBD same time
In chart : VFR status

ESNV same time
In Airport briefing : IFR status

LFLL same time

LFBO :

Do you know where the differencies come from?

Thanks for feedback

Hello! Thank you for posting this.

Apologies for the delayed answer, this post slipped through unnoticed!

We recently noticed these discrepancies ourselves, and we made some changes around 24 hours ago that should improve the situation a lot. The map indicators sometimes showed an incorrect flight category due to a miss in how it was calculating the ceiling, as per the FAA.

One still outstanding factor in this case is the fact that the map indicators are only updated if you toggle the weather feature off and then on again. On top of this, the map indicators need to go through some processing and are therefore cached for 5 minutes.

TLDR;

• The information in the menu is updated live
  • The information in the map:
    • Used to incorrectly report flight category status in some cases, but not anymore
    • Is cached for 5 minutes, meaning that there could be a 5 minute delay between the menu being updated and the map reflecting it

Apologies for the long answer! I wanted to be transparent about what was causing the major discrepancies, and what could still cause them in some cases in the future!

Please check it out now and let us know if you still see issues occurring too often!

Kind Regards,
Malte

Hello again!

Since I posted this, we have fixed several issues related to the flight category part of this issue specifically. You can see some of the related discussions here:

I am confident that our changes have made enough impact to consider this topic solved.
If you find any other issues, please do let us know!

Kind Regards,
Malte