FPS drop when using in-game panel

Apologies may have already posted on this a few weeks ago when I first instyalled the in game panel, I havnt been spending as much time with the Sim in the last few weeks so just wondered if there is any more developments on the subject. When trying to run the in game panel I get a big drop in FPS and as soon as I uninstall the panel it starts running smoothly again. ( dont have a high end system, but can run comfortably at about 30 FPS normally without the panel installed, with the panel its dropping to about 15 FPS)

Just wondering if there could be an explanation for it ?

Hi,

We are not able to reproduce this ourselves, we don’t see any noticeable drop, but we are constantly working on optimizations so please stay tuned for one of the coming updates, hopefully they might improve it for you.

Regards,

Stephen

1 Like

Hello Jonathan!

I just want to tell you that we have now investigated a few cases where this has happened to us. Here’s our current thoughts about the performance issues and also a few solutions:

The simulator (or at least this part of it) is single-threaded. This means that the every operation we have in the panel will be stacked on top of other tasks that the simulator requires, ultimately increasing the delay between frames. The more activity we have inside our panel the larger the performance hit, especially on low-spec systems.

Some of the main causes (and solutions) right now are:

• Having your cursor placed on top of the panel
    • When not using the panel, make sure that you move the mouse cursor away from it.
  • Using moving maps
    • Minimize the panel when not in use or turn of the moving maps feature.

We have taken multiple actions in order to minimize the performance hit, but in the end there is not much we can do other than recommending you to run the normal Navigraph Charts application on the side, as this will not interrupt the simulator in the same way.

Kind Regards,
Malte

This post is 2 years old, but I noticed the same after upgrading to Navigraph Charts 8…big FPS drop when opening the in-game panel, this problem didn’t exist with the older versions.

It did exist, but it was not as noticeable. The Charts application has grown a lot in complexity, so I guess heavier hits are to be expected!

This is not something that we can do something about without rewriting the whole application for a panel-specific version, which is definitely not something that we can feasibly do within the foreseeable future. The reason for the drop is related to how the simulator is built, and there is simply no way around it at the moment! This is still valid:

Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause you!

However, another thing that has changed since 2 years ago is the fact that the panel is now completely reset every time you use the provided close button. This a change in the simulator and is beyond our control.

To prevent a complete cycle of the panel every time, we added a keyboard shortcut ( Ctrl + N ) to toggle the visibility of the panel! This way, the state of the panel will be kept even when toggled, and the frame drop will only occur the first time you open it.

Again, sorry for the inconvenience!

Kind Regards,
Malte

1 Like

Thanks for the tip regarding the keyboard shortcut…that sorted it out very well.

1 Like

Happy to hear it! Enjoy!