That is better answered by Navigraph. In the TeamViewer session the tech spent about an hour and a half rummaging through my computer and grabbed a bunch of file logs. He did say to be sure to launch P3D “As Administrator” but I typically do that anyhow…and still had the problem so that in and of itself is not the solution. He did say that based on what he saw that an updated SimLink version would be released shortly thereafter but that has not yet happened.
I log every flight I do so I have a pretty good record regarding the history of this. It first appeared in early November and seemed to get progressively worse through early December. That was when we did the TeamViewer session. Subsequent to that I did 15 consecutive flights without any issues…then it occurred in 2 consecutive flights after that. Since then all is OK again but I have completed only 2 flights.
So the bottom line is that I still have an issue but less severe than before.