SimLink CTD Causing Stutters

I posted an updated report on this issue last night in the old forum which seems to be lost…so reposting here…

To recap…The issue that I am having started about 4 weeks ago. SimLink crashes which results in a severe pulsed stutter every 1-2 seconds or so. It happens suddenly and is unrelated to scenery loading or AI traffic density etc. For example, in a recent occurrence my FPS remained at the locked 30 with CPU loading at about 35% during the stuttering. I had not experienced anything like this prior to 4 weeks ago. Since then it occurs about once in every 2-3 flights. There have been no changes in my setup during this time other than possible Windows updates. I am flying P3Dv4.5 with the latest SimLink version. Windows Firewall is turned off.

I have found that the problem is fixable by simply re-executing the SimLink exe…the stuttering immediately stops and all is back to normal. That would seem simple enough to do in most cases but is somewhat problematic for me since I fly a full-scale cockpit. That means I have to climb out of the pilot’s seat to get to where the server station is outside of the cockpit. Since I fly mostly on VATSIM leaving the cockpit can be problematic in certain instances (and in fact has been on 2 occasions).

In the old thread it was suggested to reinstall SimLink even though it showed as the latest version. So I uninstalled, downloaded the most current SimLink, and reinstalled but that did not fix the problem…the same exact issue remains.

An additional observation for whatever it may be worth…Most of the time I fly online with VATSIM using vPilot as the ATC interface. What I have noticed is that in the several minutes before SimLink crashes vPilot will start doing fits of disconnecting and auto-reconnecting. So that has become a warning sign for me. VPilot never actually crashes though, only SimLink. Is there some relationship between vPilot/VATSIM and SimLink involved? I have read in another thread that there is evidence of a SimLink memory leak. Perhaps that is what is causing all that. I will be sure to check for a memory leak in the future.

Is there anything else I can investigate on this?

Thanks,
Fred K

1 Like

Hi Fred,

Welcome to our new forum. I did send you a PM last night from the old forum, not sure if it got through, requesting you repost here which you have done, comprehensively, thank you.

We have another report of memory link, which we shall investigate.

Next time this crash occurs, please upload latest dlog and log from c:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Navigraph\Simlink\logs

Cheers
Ian

Hi Ian

I have the logs from the last incident. However I do not see a way to upload the files. I can do a paste but the logs are very lengthy.

Pls advise.

Thanks,
Fred K

Hi Fred,

Please use upload button image in editor .
BTW I just added dlog and txt extensions for upload :slightly_smiling_face:

Cheers
Ian

Prepar3D v4_20201122074140_log.txt (367.1 KB)

The dlog file did not upload…error message that it was too big (exceeded 4096kb and it is over twice that size). I will send it on in parts.

Fred K

The dlog file in three parts (size exceeded upload limit)…
dlog PartA.txt (2.8 MB) dlog PartB.txt (3.8 MB) dlog PartC.txt (2.1 MB)

The text log (same as before)…
Prepar3D v4_20201122074140_log.txt (367.1 KB)

Fred K

Hi Fred,

Thank you. We shall investigate.

Cheers
Ian

Hi Ian

The dlog file was too big to upload on the forum so I split it into 3 parts there (4096kb is max file size).

Intact file attached here.

Best regards.
Fred

Prepar3D v4_20201122074140_log.txt (367 KB)

(Attachment simlink_2020-11-23.dlog is missing)

same here for xp11 stutters with simlink =(

Thank-you!

I just want to report that the TeamViewer session earlier this week has fixed this problem.

TR made some changes as to how SimLink operates.

I have completed 5 flights now without any hint of the problem. I have a multi-computer networked setup. The fix has seemed to improve overall network performance as well.

Fred K

Yesterday I have had the same problem with the stutters in P3D4 HF2. It first occurred to me on November 29. I attached the logs.
Prepar3D v4_20201213063822_log.txt (356.0 KB) simlink_2020-12-13.dlog (8.0 KB)

I’ve had the issue a few more times since then. This evening I have extremely unreliable internet and Simlink crashed every few minutes resulting in the mentioned heavy stutters. I could fix the stutters by restarting Simlink, only for the stutters to return a few minutes later each time.
This leads me to believe, that a connection timeout causes Simlink to crash instead of waiting to reconnect. I attached the logs for this flight.
simlink_2021-01-20.dlog (58.9 KB) Prepar3D v4_20210120122730_log.txt (1.5 MB)

I have the same problem with P3D 4.5 and Simlink.
As soon as Simlink stops working and says it can’t connect to the Simulator it makes the screen stutter every second. Plane becomes virtually unflyable.

I have the same problem on my X-plane 11. Has anyone found the solution to the problem? Does the latest version fix this bug?

Hi

Have the same problem in P3Dv5.1 HF1.

Please advise what the solution is.

Extremely frustrating.

Regards,

Hello thread!

We have updated Simlink to version 1.1.19.0104 and among the changes (which will be published separately soon) are fixes for various stuttering issues. To update, please open Simlink and allow it to update using the system dialog that opens.

It would be much appreciated to hear your feedback in order to confirm that the issue has now been resolved.

Regards,
Malte