Unable to log into APP on Chromebook

Does seem to be a Google Chrome problem, app logs in fine using the Firefox web browser.

Cheers
Rob

I have the exact same problem on my Chromebook. I need to use the cloud version since the charts app gives me the ā€œlogin cancelledā€ error. The Firefox workaround doesnā€™t work for me. The cloud version is fine, but there should be no reason that the app doesnā€™t work in the Chrome browser in the Chrome environment.

This problem still exists with the latest Charts Mobile App release.

On Chromebook, I have both the built-in Chrome and FireFox browsers. I am correctly entering my credentials, but after the Identity Page closes (and accepts my login) I am returned to the App home page with the ā€œLogin Cancelledā€ notice in Red present. There is no ā€œTrouble Signing Inā€ or other alternative button other than ā€œSign In.ā€

Just out of curiosity, was this tested with a Chromebook?

Weā€™re investigating.

Which browser is the default one out of the installed ones?

Regards,

Stephen

Chrome. But I can select either one at time of clicking a valid redirect to a URL link if desired.

I see. And choosing Firefox instead has no effect?

Stephen

Correct. The behavior is consistent in both browser cases - Identity page closes (with no errors) and Iā€™m returned to the App Home Page with the ā€œLogin Cancelledā€ error in red atop the Sign In button.

I have a 9.1 MB screen recording to show the behavior if that might help. I can send it to you via e-mail.

Weā€™re working on a potential fix for this. Please standby and weā€™ll get back to you.

Regards,

Stephen

Thank you, much appreciated!

Hi Guys,

We have released a new version today that should make Sign In stable on Android devices in general. For Chromebook specifically you need to install an Android browser, for example Chrome using Google Play. The Android app can only communicate with other Android applications and will not be able to perform authentication using the ChromeOS Google. Please keep us updated if you still encounter problems.

Kind regards,

Markus

1 Like

Will test it out - thanks!

I am running GoogleChromeOS 110.0.5481.112 (Official Build) (64-bit) on a Google Pixelbook.

I updated Charts today - 27-FEB-2023, in the notes it does state ā€œFixed some issues that prevented the sign-in button from working when certain 3rd-party browsers were selected as default.ā€ Version 8.21.0

I am using Chrome browser on the Pixelbook to connect the Sign-In and launch the Identity Page on Navigraph. Itā€™s still not working unfortunately.

Do you know how I can reset the Sign-In link on the Charts app so it lets me select a different browser? I want to try with Firefox which is the only other browser on my system.

Did you install Chrome via Google Play as @m4rkus mentioned?

Stephen

The Chrome Browser is integrated into ChromeOS. Are you recommending a different one?

Iā€™d have to find one that is reliable. Thereā€™s many knock-offs passing themselves as Chrome browsers. Iā€™ll see if there is another one. I do have Firefox installed which launches in a phone size window so Iā€™m assuming that is an Android app and will work.

Do you know how I can disassociate the Sign-In link and let me choose a different browser? At the moment, it auto-launches the built-in Chrome browser which is part of the problem Iā€™m guessing. If I can get it to let me pick Firefox I can retest this version.

@Casualclick

The Chrome browser integrated in ChromeOS is made for ChromeOS and cannot communicate properly with Android applications, just with other apps built for ChromeOS. Firefox built for ChromeOS will not help in this regard either, it should be the Android Firefox installed via Google Play for it to work properly.

I donā€™t have a Chromebook myself but this seems to be the way to set the default browser How To Change Default Browser On Chromebook - YouTube.

Kind regards,

Markus

Well, I managed to clear the preferences/association and confirmed I can pick between Chrome (which is invalid, because itā€™s ChromeOS integrated) and Firefox, which I can confirm is the Android version - it even forces me to choose between Phone and Tablet window sizes.

The Identity attempt fails. I confirm Iā€™m entering the right credentials. It returns me back to the Charts Sign In with Login Cancelled in red status above the button.

However, I saw something different I hadnā€™t seen before - there was an open tab in the Firefox browser with an Identity Page error message. Perhaps itā€™s helpful? Please see below.

After trying a few more times last night I contemplated a bit.

I know the team is working on a lot of things, I donā€™t want this to end up pulling hours away from development and support of other items core to the business.

Worst comes to worst, I just use Charts Cloud on the browser, which works well enough for my purposes. My recommendation would be to put another line in the system requirements/specifications list stating ā€œNot working/recommended under ChromeOS.ā€ That way, the expectations are totally baselined.

Thanks for looking into it!

Hi @Casualclick,

The Android app works fine for several users, so we just need to understand why it does not work for you. The error message you got can be indicative that cookies are turned off in the browser. Can you please check that this is not the case?

Kind regards,

Markus

Good news: Itā€™s working!

Moderate news - Iā€™m not sure why.

I double-checked Firefox and noted Enhanced Protection Tracking was ON - this is default at least in Version 110. I turned it OFF per screenshot below and the initial results were the same - no login.

I inspected the Charts settings one more time in Manage Apps and nothing was changed. I did note that if you go through the typical App troubleshooting step of clearing both Cache and Local Storage, the Permissions of Location and Local Storage are turned OFF. I made sure those were ON before leaving that screen, and re-entered it once to make sure those switches were persistent state.

I then tried it once more, with Charts Cache and Storage cleared and Firefox ETP Off. Failure again.

Not wanting to operate Firefox without ETP on, I turned it back ON. Just for giggles, I tried it one more time, and it worked. I donā€™t know what might have been the step that fixed it. Perhaps clearing storage on the Charts App might be the key, but itā€™s working now. Itā€™s a little troubling that I canā€™t nail down root cause, but thatā€™s technology lifeā€¦

Thanks for your patience and guidance in this support request!