TACAN stations - please re-add the channel

At some point reasonably recently TACAN stations on the chart lost their channel ID - normally not a problem because if you’re using them for DME you’d have to look up the frequency anyway. However I’m flying a MSFS aircraft around at the moment which can only get DME from TACAN and can only enter the channel to enable that functionality - but the TACAN stations are just listed as frequencies now so I have to go convert them back again.

While that’s not a giant problem it’d be nice to just be able to read them off the chart again.

Hello, welcome back to our forum!

Hmm. Could you provide me with an example chart that used to have what you are looking for? We can’t do anything about the content of these charts unfortunately, but I can take a look to see if the data is available outside of the charts.

Kind Regards,
Malte

Not sure exactly what he means by the chart, but it would be nice if TACANs and VORTACs had their channel listed along with the VHF frequency for VOR/DME info. Here is a partial conversion chart from VHF to TACAN channel, I think the rest can be found but this covers basically all of the relevant frequencies/channels.

That to me sounds like a new feature, not a fix for a regression. If that is the case, should we convert this topic to a Wishlist item? Don’t get me wrong, it sounds cool but we have to prioritize between lots of cool features :sweat_smile:

Kind Regards,
Malte

I’m not sure about the OP, but I certainly wouldn’t mind it being converted to that. I might not really fly military jets around much, but I know there’s plenty simmers who do and would probably be very gracious to see the actual TACAN channel listed when inspecting an enroute VORTAC/TACAN instead of having to look through one of those conversion tables.

Hi, sorry for the delay - in the overall chart program if you clicked on a TACAN station in times past the info panel ( on the left by default ) used to list the channel as well as the frequency used for DME - at some point the channel has disappeared. If I look up an actual Jeppeson sourced chart ( say, for YV/EGDR, doesn’t matter which approach chart because the colocated TACAN station is on all of them ) both the channel & the frequency are there as well as the ID. I’m not sure if there’s currently any TACAN stations which aren’t colocated - there are possibly some which are colocated places that don’t have charts I guess, but it is a pain having to dig out either an approach chart or scan the conversion table when the info was available before.

I’m less sure if the channel was on the IFR charts - I’d like to say it was, but my memory does play tricks. That would be a wishlist item!

Hello again! I asked around, and we can’t recall ever having TACAN channels listed in an info panel. They might have been on charts, but we do not make the charts (Jeppesen does) and thus do not control what they look like or what they contain.

That said, it certainly is possible to manually (or programmatically, or a mix of the two) map the navaid frequencies to their corresponding TACAN channels. If you would like us to do that, please vote for this wishlist topic:

For any further additions or questions, please refer to that thread!

Kind Regards,
Malte