McDonnell Douglas MD-11 Issue

Hello there,

Well, I was doing a flight plan today with the route departing from Hong Kong heading to Zurich, with the estimative of 5,333 nautical miles. But when I generated the FPL, the message of “Flight Exceed the Aircraft Range” showed up.

According with some searches, the range of it is around 7,800 nautical miles, is innit?

I can be wrong, with the wrong sources. If someone can correct me, please fell free.

Regards!

Hi,

That range figure is probably for an empty aircraft with very little reserves and no extra fuel. This Boeing PDF lists the max range with 298 passengers and bags as 6,725 nm.

That’s still probably with very little reserves and in still air. Conversely, on your flight, you have many factors that reduce your range even more:

• Your custom MD-11 airframe has set a lower fuel capacity than normal (104,334 kg instead of around 117,000 kg for a typical MD-11).
  • A high Cost Index of 200 (which burns more fuel to fly faster)
  • An average headwind of 44 knots throughout the flight
  • 5% Contingency fuel (which carves out 4822 kg additional fuel on top of your other reserves)

If you remove the above factors, SimBrief’s MD-11 has no problem reaching the advertised range of 6,725 nm.

Best regards,

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.