Map filters in the MSFS IGP

The map is cluttered with multiple zones and sectors which makes VFR flight and following correct procedures more challenging than it has to be. I wish for a possibility to declutter the map by filtering out e.g. military training sectors and FIR, which may not be relevant for my VFR flight in the vicinity of a regional airport.

Hi! Thank you for the feedback!

Have you tried the map filters? They do allow you to hide military sectors (like the one above Sola!) as well as FIR airspace! You can access them from the layer menu like this:

Navigraph Charts 06-12

This does not apply to the IGP. The topic has been moved to the correct category, and the above advice does not work.

Let me know if this works for you!

Kind Regards,
Malte

Aaaw! This was exactly what I was looking for!. I was unaware of this feature…Thank you for clarifying.

1 Like

Sorry, I was abit too fast there. I understand now that this function unfortunately is not present in VR. I was looking for it but couldn’t find it.

So the wishlist still stands, however only with the VR-platform.

Are you able to “unsolve” the thread, and edit the thread title to VR-spesific?

Absolutely, that I can do!

For full transparency - this is a technical limitation in the simulator that is not possible to work around at the moment, and it does not look like this is going to change. But it is still welcome on the wishlist of course!

Oh, I was unaware. Thanks for clarifying. Sounds strange though that the sim won’t allow for filters in the VR-map. Hope they solve it…

To be clear, it’s not quite that simple - we (not the simulator) are responsible for the map itself. The reason why it cannot be filtered the same way is that the simulator cannot handle rendering vector-based maps, which is probably a good thing because the performance would be straight-up terrible both for the map itself and the simulator as a whole!

The panel needs to share resources with the simulator, so running the web or desktop app separately will always be far superior if looking for performance.

The difference is that the standalone apps render the map as multiple layers stacked on top of each other, each being individually controllable and customizable. In the panel, the map is “flat” - consisting of one image-based layer only. No customization, no layering.
In order to achieve filtering (at the cost of worse performance), we would have to make big changes to both the app and our infrastructure, making tradeoffs as we go. This is simply not worth it for us at the moment.

Sorry for the inconvenience! We fully realize that it would be great to be able to filter the map when using the panel as well.

Kind Regards,
Malte

I have been using the panel with the Comanche in VR on Vatsim and would love for the VFR section to have only controlled airspace, airports and VFR waypoints.

Something like this really helps when trying to avoid Delta Airspace:

Is that possible on our end through editing any config files? Basically I would like to remove the Restricted Airspace and the IFR Waypoints from the VFR Map as these two options create the most clutter for VFR flying.

When selecting World Map, the IGP filters out most things to keep the map simple so it does seem doable.

Unfortunately, this is not possible at the moment, no. We have 3 different styles to choose from when it comes to generating image tiles (that the panel is forced to use), so customization is really not possible without adding yet another preset!

Really sorry about this!

That’s a bummer. Would have loved to have one more preset for VFR to keep things simple. Especially in VR. Thanks for the quick response!

1 Like