KORD taxi restriction on taxiway BB2 contradictions

Hi,

on occassion of a recent incident (not yet on AVHerald) with a 777 hitting a lighting pole on BB2 between K1 and Z (being sent there by ATC as confirmed on liveatc.net recordings), I was reviewing taxi charts on KORD. Interestingly, there is conflicting information:

• 20-9 has operational note 13 stating BB2 closed for wingspan >36m.
  • 20-9D2 has only turn restrictions from K and Z1 into BB2 between K1 and Z for >B737. No indication that BB2 is blocked anywhere between K1 and BB.
  • 20-9K confirms 20-9D2 turn restrictions but shows BB2 approved for B747-8 between AA and BB, directly contradicting 20-9!
  • 20-9L same as 20-9K but for A380.

(20-9M provides a nice zoom-in for the taxiway designators)

So, given that ATC has ordered the 777 (coming from CC, left onto K) to taxi via BB, then into BB2 (to join Z northbound), that was legal according to 20-9D2, and up to AA according to 20-9K&L, but blank illegal according to 20-9.

Anyway, my point is that the B748 & A380 taxi charts explicitly permit BB2 between AA and BB, but the 20-9 chart does not. Sounds like 20-9 is “over-restricting” at least between AA and BB.

Could you forward this to Jeppesen for review?

Best regards,
Daniel

Hi,
I have no idea which ATC you mean but in general, we had no influence on the taxiways because we don’t have this information in the data.

Cheers
Richard

Hi Richard,

sorry, I was unclear… I’m talking about a real life incident at KORD which happened Aug 06 ~01:35z when QTR67X taxied after arrival at KORD: Qatar Airways flight QR8141 - Flightradar24

Of course you had no influence, but perhaps could forward my concerns about the contradicting charts in that area of the incident to Jepp via your contacts.

Best regards,
Daniel

Thanks Daniel …

Cheers,
Richard

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.