Discontinuity between arrival and approach

I know this has been and continues to be discussed at length.

I don’t know how to complete or adjust the arrival and approach paths coming into Denver from Billings. RAMMS8 ends at DVV and the approach starts at JOBOB. I cannot figure out how to connect the two, or to shorten the arrival so that it can transition at JOBOB.

Any and all help appreciated. Thanks. Bruce

Msfs2020

Hello Bruce! Welcome to the forum!

Arrivals and approaches do not always line up, especially in the US. You can see why that is by taking a look at the chart!

So in this case, you should expect to be vectored to the start of your approach by ATC.

Hope this helps!
Kind Regards,
Malte

Thank you Malte for a very prompt reply. I’m clearly still a newbie but have I’ve done ILS approaches successfully. I was going to fly this yesterday but computer gremlins showed up with their usual bad timing. So if I’m going along dumb and happy, and do not interact with ATC, will the plane turn at or near dvv to intercept the glide scope and start the final descent? Do I need to do anything special with the AP? Is the Jacoh to Leets part of the arrival just ignored?

Looking at where the arrival ends and where the approach starts, it is not very likely that the aircraft would be able to “connect the dots” in this case, unfortunately.
For this airport, you would definitely have to manually direct the autopilot with altitude/heading changes to get on the right track and lined up with your final approach.

In real life, I would assume that you would have received instructions from ATC to intercept the approach somewhere around NIWOT, which would only require a slight left turn! Once you have done that, the AP can be switched to its approach mode.

No, you would have to intercept the initial fix leg, which in this case begins at JOBOB. You can find this information in the approach chart, which you fill find using its index number 12-3, or its name - RNAV (GPS) Y RWY 16L.

Kind Regards,
Malte

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.