Charts not up to date?

New to Navigraph, ( and Specifically Jeppesen Charts format) so please forgive a new user’s basic question.

I subscribed to the full, yearly package, and expect to be able to see Current Jeppeson charts (for Sim use Only).

I retreaved KDCA LDA Y 19, and KDCA LDA Z 19

Both appear to have correct data (ie Both LDA’s no longer have GS), but they appear to be marked

20 APR 19 EFF 26 APR ( 11-2) and LDA Z (11-3)

How should I be reading that, if it is indicating the Chart is current ??

Hi Geoffrey,
I guess, that screenshot explains your question:

Yes, the charts are current … :wink:
Cheers,
Richard

Thanks Richard - for the assurance that the charts are up to date, but despite tring to research and google it, I cannot find a clear explanation of how that data, in your example, indicates the chart is up to date –

ie 10 mar 95 would tend to indicate a date of 1995.
How can one tell, when looking at this chart, that it is CURRENT, and there is not a alter, updated one.
Do I read it as the chart is effective from 11-1 (2011-jan) till 16th March 2011 ?
and the chart will not be updated/or re-issued the same till 18th March 2011

Hallo!

You will either have to trust the declaration of the charts provider, or, if you want to verify it yourself, you will have to check the respective State’s Integrated Aeronautical Information Package.

But re-reading your question I realised I did not answer it precisely. So the precise answer is: There is no way to tell a Jeppesen chart is current just from looking at it. But then again, I am not aware of any other charts provider, nor any AIP charts I came across, which provided such a check directly on each chart.

All Jeppesen charts delivered by Navigraph are current so it would not be much value to type that information on each chart. When a chart is revised, it is not known when it will be revised again, as that happens when authorities issue updates that warrant revisions of the chart. Hence only the revision/effective from date is printed on the chart. Some charts in our database have an effective date 1, 2 or 5 years ago and are still current.

Not to labor the point, but fine, you assure us that they are current, and I am more than happy with that – but you also seem to be saying there is no way for a Pilot to look at a chart, and from whats on it, tell that it is current.

So, keeping old printed charts is therefore somewhat useless these days, and one had to go get “Today’s Chart”, being assured by whoever supplies it, that they have the means to determine if what they are providing is current.

Saves a lot of Trees :wink:

Well, indeed. No chart provider prints an expiry date on a chart. A printed chart is of course also fine if you keep printing all the revised charts every 28 days, but that would be alot of wasted trees. Better to stick with an electronic service that always deliver current charts. :wink:

Regards,

Stephen

Unlike AIRACS, charts are not issued every 28 days, but only when something in the procedure changes. For those who use printed Jepp charts, there will be an index in the chart book that lists the current effectivity number for each chart. Rather than paper charts, our flight department uses JeppView on two separate iPads, and the charts are also available on the MFD of the aircraft (with current position overlaid).

I have ridden in the jump seat in our company aircraft many times. The pilots’ main concern when selecting a particular chart is to insure that both are using the same effectivity number.

The charts stored in the aircraft avionics are updated from a laptop using a data file downloaded from INDS, which is a joint venture between Jeppesen and Honeywell. The pilot iPads are updated directly from Jeppesen by logging into our company account.

Each iPad electronic update includes an electronic copy of the master effectivity index, and if any chart on the iPad is not the latest revision, it will give a warning. The aircraft update used to install a fresh copy of all charts, every time it was run which was quite time-consuming. The new system only installs those charts which have actually changed since the last update, so the update process is much faster. This is similar to the process of updating paper Jepp charts.

1 Like