ATIS frequency different from Flightsim

Hi,

I am flying X-Plane 11 and before that P3D V4. A friend has MSFS2020. On some airports I cannot use the ATIS frequencies, that are in the AIRAC cycle data. I wonder, why that is so.

For example EGLL has 113.75 as ATIS in the AIRAC cycle, while X-Plane, P3D and MSFS use 128.08. And only 128.08 MHz do work in the sims (at least in X-Plane 11 and P3D, MSFS has a second frequency 121.935). I think in real life all frequencies are correct, only it does not help here because when flying in the sim, only one works for all, which is 128.08.

Another example: Navigraph data have for RAF airbase EGWU ATIS 299.8 kHz. X-Plane , P3D and MSFS use 113.75 MHz. I think in reality both frequencies are correct. Again, only 113.75 can be set in the sim.

My question is, whether it is possible/planned to list the sim relevant ATIS in the Navigraph cycle data. Littlenavmap, that many people use, comes with its own database for communication frequencies and uses AIRAC data for everything else (VOR and so on). I realize now, why LNM needs that.

But why not have the sim relevant ATIS frequencies directly in the AIRAC cycle?

Thank you
Detlef

Hi Detlef,
the main point here are the different sims and or different addons.

First, LNM uses also our data, when you want that LNM uses our data. So, there is no “own” communication table (at least, not with our data). When you use LNM with our data, you will see the complete Com list

Here for EGLL:

Here for EGWU:

So, when you use our database in LNM, you see all our frequencies which we can provide. So, it´s not only “VOR and so on”. LNM uses more …

Ok, now the MSFS:
Try to enter a lower frequency of 118.000 in the COM1 or 2 … it´s simple not possible, therefore we can add such frequencies, but they are useless because you can´t use it in the sim. Also, I can´t answer your question, why the sim uses only a specific ATIS frequency. That happens also with the stock data so I assume this is more or less a limitation. What we do is only offering the data but we have no influence what the sim does with the data or if the sim interpret the data correctly.

In this case, we supress all COM frequencies lower than 118.000 because you can´t set it. Sorry.

Hope that helps,
Richard

Richard,

thank you very much for your fast reply. I am writing my own instruments using Siminnovations Airmanager. That’s where my issue actually comes from.

First, LNM uses also our data, when you want that LNM uses our data. So, there is no “own” communication table (at least, not with our data). When you use LNM with our data, you will see the complete Com list
<<
I am aware of that. However, if in LNM I do use the option to use Navigraph for everything, I loose parking positions and airport information like runway surface and other. But please put that aside. LNM is not my point here.

You are right. I see that, if I use DB Browser for SQLite to look into the databases in the LNM directory. Using the search menu there and looking into the airport table, the only EGLL ATIS frequency I see is 113.75, which - a little unfortunate for me - is the one I get when using Siminnovations Airmanager functions for X-Plane database access. And that frequency is dead in X-Plane (and P3D).
But when I search in the com table in the Navigraph database, using the airport ID 2531 for EGLL, I see the four ATIS frequencies you mention. And here the one that works (128.08) is listed first!
So you are right, the data is there, but for some reason the Airmanager extracts the (for me) not useable frequency from the sim database. I will ask at Siminnovations about that. I think Airmanager is fetching data from the sim, not from a Navigraph database. But the sim has the Navigraph data.

Ok, now the MSFS:
Try to enter a lower frequency of 118.000 in the COM1 or 2 … it´s simple not possible, therefore we can add such frequencies, but they are useless because you can´t use it in the sim.
:
In this case, we supress all COM frequencies lower than 118.000 because you can´t set it. Sorry.
<<
You misunderstood me here. 299.8 is the ATIS frequency for EGWU, that Navigraph has in the airport table. But, again here I see, the for me usable frequency 125.12 is in the com table, here at second place.

I will ask at Siminnovations.

Thank you for your help for that. I was not aware that all frequencies are there.
The only other point I have (like I saw, some others already mentioned), the .005 (from 8.33 kHz channels) seems not to be right always.

Thank you
Detlef

Hi again Detlef,
one additional word to X-Plane - the com-frequencies will not be updated through our cycles because the com´s are in the airport-file of X-Plane and are not a part of the update process. Possible that is the reason for the difference too.

Last, to the 8.33 kHz spacing - also very difficult and tricky because nearly all addons don´t support this spacing and therefore it could be, that this is not available. We have also the data in our source but as I wrote, useless for most of the addons (at the moment - the MSFS will show us the way in the future ;-))

Thanks again,
Richard

Richard,

thank you again. I just looked into my source code and found out: it’s me who made wrong conclusions here. Actually I just took the first ATIS frequency that came out, not looking for additional ones. I can actually filter away below-118.0 and kHz range frequencies, so sorry actually for bringing this up here, but it helped me to find the bug.

Many ATIS frequencies e.g. in Germany must be set correctly in X-Plane, or else I hear nothing. I can do that with my radio instrument there. But currently I can only get the full 8.33-frequency information from LNM, not from the info the Airmanagers draws from the database. That information may be from X-Plane or from Navigraph. I simple don’t know.

Thank you
Detlef

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.