Addon "FS Hud" AIRAC Cycle

Hi, just a quick question about the standard FS Hud (MSFS ATC app) cycle.
(I hope the category I chose is ok. I used the same one that was used in a similar post.)
I read an earlier post relating to this (FSHud usage after Navigraph unsubscription - #2 by NAVData), and have a follow-up, if you don’t mind.

The fall-back Navigraph cycle that the developer uses is about two and a half years old.
When asked why, he refers to Navigraph for answers. Navigraph explained it very well in the post mentioned above. Thanks for that.

In the post, Navigraph also mentions that they provide developers with AIRACs that are at least a year old.

My follow-up question would be: could he obtain a newer cycle (1 year old instead of 2 1/2) from Navigraph to use in his app?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Best regards

Hi,

Thats correct, we offer a one year outdated cycle to include this for their initial setups (= day of first release). The reason is, that no one needs a subscription and can use their addons. Its like SimBrief, where we offer a default cycle to use it for free.

In other words, this default cycle can be used during the whole lifetime of the addon but we don’t offer newer cycles to the developer during this periode.

Hope that helps
Richard

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi Richard,
Thank you very much indeed for replying to my post, much appreciated.
Unfortunately, the topic (Addon “FS Hud” AIRAC Cycle) was closed before I could follow up, hence this post. It concerns the 3rd party MSFS app FS Hud.
Since it´s not possible to backup the FSHud AIRAC cycles as end user (there is an workflow behind it that requires the FSHud server), the AIRAC cycle remains stuck on the one kindly provided by Navigraph, which is now over two and a half years old.
This had me wondering if Navigraph and FS Hud could possibly strike a deal. Perhaps Navigraph could provide the developer with a year-old set of charts (similar to the setup Navigraph has with it’s subsidiary, Simbrief), and in return FS Hud could advertise Navigraph products within the app. Links to the subscription page and such. The business model would be similar to Simbrief: a percentage of users will start out using the free plan, but eventually subscribe due to the advantages of up-to-date data and all the other perks of a Navigraph subscription.
I’d appreciate your valued opinion on the idea.
Thanks and best regards.

Hi again,
yes, the postings will be closed automatically after a period of time. I have now merged your posting with this “initial” posting and have re-open to avoid double postings.

As I have written, we offer every addon-developer a free/outdated (1-Y) dataset as initial dataset for “day-one” of the addon. That helps the addon developer to offer a real-world complete navigational database from the largest data provider Jeppesen/Boeing and also of course us in our business case.

This first database will not be updated during the life-cycle of the addon and we also communicate this very clear to the devs before. Also, we talk about the file-/data specifications and how the data can be distributed. In this case the FSHud developer follows a complete other way as most of the other addon developer. He has decided to use his own system for the distribution and also the data handling.

A second aspect why we can´t update databases (even when outdated) is our contract with Jeppesen/Boeing. We, as Navigraph, may not offer outdated data or may not offer updates of outdated data on a regular base - when you (as customer) backup the data and use the old backups in the future, we can´t do anything.

The last aspect is, when we would do this for FSHud, we must do the same for all other 3rd party addons which we provide too due be fair against the other developers.

Hope that helps, to understand why we may not and why we cannot offer here an exception. Sorry!

Cheers,
Richard

PS: SimBrief is a Navigraph product, so under our own hood

Ah, I see. That’s interesting.
Thank you very much for taking the time to explain in depth.
Always nice to know the reasoning behind certain approaches.
Certainly no follow-ups to that thorough explanation. Feel free to close this thread, although I guess that will happen automatically in two days time anyways.
Have a great day!
Best regards

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.