XPlane 12 Wrong File Format

When exporting a Flight plan into Xplane 12 the wrong file format is used. The .FPL or .FMS. Xplane 12 has a new format it will only accept plans with the extension of .SIT .FDR or .REP. It is for that very reason that flight plans exported from Xplane 11.5 and previous versions will not work on Xplane 12.

Hi, I am not aware of X-Plane removing support for .FMS files.

But note that .FMS files are meant to be loaded directly through the FMS after the flight has been loaded. I believe .SIT .FDR or .REP are meant for loading an entire flight from the X-Plane menu, whereas .FMS are for loading the route into the aircraft’s FMS.

Try following these instructions and let us know if it works: XPFlightPlanner - Load flight plan into FMS

Best regards,

Why does everyone have a WRONG opinion before actually find out?
As a Professional Engineer, I wouldn’t have lasted a week let alone 30 years.

YOU ARE WRONG

Hi,
and thanks for your input but here are the official specifications, provided by Laminar-Research for XP-Plane:

Scroll down:

When this is wrong as you wrote, please report this to Laminar Research. These are the official, public developer information - possible they haven´t updated it but we don´t know it.

Thank you,
Richard

PS: here the official supported file-formats for XP12 - I haven´t found any with SIT, FDR or REP. So, please can you forward us the specification of these file formats?

Here you go!

I have numerous flight plans in the folder yet it can’t find them. Here is a sample:

CYHMKTPA.fms (248 Bytes)

Sorry, you are wrong …

According your screenshot, you want to load a flight and NOT a flightplan. A flightplan will be loaded normally directly in the aircraft and not somewhere outside.

You see this also in the first line of your screenshot. The extensions are correct but not for a flightplan.

Thank you
Richard

I also forgot to mention that when you choose what format to export to Xplane 11/Xplane 12 are together ergo one error. Should be separate with Xplane 11 saving in FMS format and Xplane 12 saving in one of the other three ie; .sit

No, the flightplan format for XP11 and XP12 is the same as I have shown you in the screenshot before.

You try to load a flightplan as a flight and thats not possible. You must load the FMS files directly in the aircraft.

A flight (situation) and a flightplan are two different pair of shoes.

Cheers
Richard

HOLY SHIT DID YOU SEE THE FILE I’M PRETTY FRIGIN SURE ITS A FLIGHTPLAN!!!

How do you not see the file from your own product. Don’t propose to know what I am doing because again you are wrong.

Wow way to go Sherlock again you are so bloody wrong. The flight plan I am trying to load was created by Navigraph. I am trying to load that flightplan into a Phenom 300. When I try to load it into the plane the screen shot is the error I get.
By the way if you followed the posts there are about 30 of us with the same issue. It’s also the reason that previous saved flight plans from Xpane 11 won’t work on Xplane 12
You must think I have an IQ of 12 not that of a Professional Engineer with 30 years of experience.

Again - a flight and a flightplan (this is the fms-file) are two complete different things … you try to load a flight/flight situation and NOT a flightplan.

Flightplans can ONLY!!! be loaded directly in the aircrafts (G1000, FMC/S) …

Flights/Situtations are stored in <xp-root-folder>\Output\situations
Flight/Replays <xp-root-folder>\Output\replays
and

Flightplans (which must be loaded directly!!! in the aircraft) are stored in <xp-root-folder>\Output\FMS plans

Here YOUR!! flightplan from the default B737 - it´s your fms file:

Cheers,
Richard

… here a step by step instruction:

1. save your fms file into your <xp-root folder>\Output\FMS plans

2. start XP12 - double click on the icon on your desktop and wait till the application is up and running

3. on the main screen, select “NEW FLIGHT” (thats the second button from right with the green underlined bar - NOT the crossed button in red)

When you see this, go back you have selected the WRONG button:

4. on the next screen select the aircraft the Boeing 737-800 (green bar)

5. select a location of your choice and a runway - ideal CYHM, because thats your departure airport in your flightplan:

6. press the “Start Flight” button on the bottom right - and wait a little bit, it depends on your system power

7. when the B737-800 is loaded click on the FMC (somewhere in the green area) - as a result the FMC pop up

8. Now press on the on the first button right of “ROUTE MENU>” (green bar)

9. press on the second button on the left side “<CO ROUTE LIST” (green bar)

10. you should now see your route list with your fms-file in it - depending or the amount of fms file, scroll down to your file CYHMKTPA.fms and press the button left on the line

11. now the flightplan is loaded

Cheers,
Richard

PS: time to apologize

Yes on Xplane 11
I can do that too.

I have never ever even used load a saved flight.
I am trying to load it on a glass cockpit a Phenom 300 actually
I can load it into WebFMC v2.2.0 That I used for Xplane 11 okay for 737 but nothing else.
You haven’t convinced me of anything yet.

… and here a screenshot from the Phenom300 G1000

… again a step by step instruction:

1. press the FPL button (green bar)

2. rotated on the small wheel on the FMS knob in one direction (green bar - the small/inner knob)

3. after that you should see your flightplans which are stored in the <xp-root folder>\Output\FMS plans

This feature is basic a G1000 standard feature and this works in all G1000 aircrafts in X-Plane in the same way, with default aircrafts (which are included in XP11/12) also with the Phenom300. By the way, also XP12 has a default B737 and I have shown you in my screenshot that I have used this default aircraft and the FMC.

But again, we are talking here from the very beginner basic, how I use a G1000 correctly.

Cheers,
Richard

PS: moved the topic now in the correct folder - because it´s not an issue, it´s a “how to” use a G1000

Thanks, I’ll check it out!

I have no idea where @NAVData refills his strategic reserve of patience to deal with customers like this one…

The .fms file format is supported in X-Plane 11 and 12. I should know because I wrote it.

1 Like

@technobody we maintain a friendly relationship with our users and we do not accept swear words, nor personal attacks on us, nor on other users or developers.

You can’t know everything, you just have to admit that you made a mistake - with or without 30 years professional engineering. The solution was already in Derek’s first answer. You ignored them and insisted on their version in a way that we do not tolerate here.

Fact is, that this was not a navdata, flightplan or X-Plane issue - it was simple an issue of missing know how, of your (and all the other 30 what you have mentioned in a posting) personal lack of knowledge, even with your 30 years of experience as a professional engineer.

Again, it happens to all of us once in a while and there’s no shame in it. Mistakes happen. But you should also have the personality to own up to your mistakes.

I have removed your last comment because it was inappropriate … please see this as a last warning.

Thank you very much and have a nice day,
Richard