X-Plane 11/12 data: earth_nav.dat: NDB elevation

4th column, following latitude and longitude, seems to always be zero for NDBs; is this intentional? It’s not the case for e.g. VORs, nor is it always zero for NDBs in the X-Plane 10 database.

Regards,

Tim

Hi Tim,

I don’t think ARINC NDB navaid primary record includes any elevation field, probably the reason why Navigraph reports it to 0 in ALL its databases. In country AIPs, NDB elevation is sometimes filled in, sometimes not or is marked as unknown. Anyway NDB elevation is useless for navigation purpose unlike DME elevation that affects slant range distance reading.

Regards

Hervé

Hi Tim,
thanks for the question …

Hervé is right - most of the countries doesn´t offer the elevation data for NDBs and therefore it´s not available in the source. This field is not mandatory according the ARINC424 rules due the reason that Hervé explained. Our workflow set such fields to 0 to fulfill the XP dataset requirements.

Hope that helps
Richard

PS: Thanks Hervé for your answer and your help!

Thanks!

Any specific reason why it’s not set to zero in earth_nav.dat for X-Plane 10?

Regards,

Tim

Hi Tim,

Do you have an example? I have checked the RTT NDB between XP10, 11 and 12 current AIRAC cycle 2213 but there is no elevation in any of the three datasets.

As we have written above, it depends on the country if they offer the facility elevation or not - it´s not mandatory. I have checked our source (2213) - we have in total 2734 NDBs in our database and 967 NDBs have an elevation and the rest not …

About the question why this information is suppressed in XP11/12 - this should be asked Laminar Research because since XP11/12 we use a own library/parser for these two datasets. Sorry, but I can´t answer this question.

Cheers,
Richard

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.