What Tablet to use?

Hello. I’m at the point where I would like to have a tablet (or need one) in my cockpit. I’m thinking of a Surface Pro based on Windows. Would I be on the right track with a Windows based Tablet? I did have an Android but can no longer update the OS on it, so now it’s a dust collector, hence my reasons for looking towards a Windows based Tablet. Tips and comments welcome.

Hello. I’m at the point where I would like to have a tablet (or need one) in my cockpit. I’m thinking of a Surface Pro based on Windows. Would I be on the right track with a Windows based Tablet? I did have an Android but can no longer update the OS on it which renders it useless for Navigraph Charts among other apps, so now it’s a dust collector, hence my reasons for looking towards a Windows based Tablet, sort of future proof. Tips and comments welcome.

I have used both ipad and a Surface and the app works great on both.
I now use a second monitor though as the larger size is perfect for my tired old eyes :wink:
Don’t forget that you can always use the Cloud version on a browser too…
https://charts.navigraph.com/

Thank you for your reply Toby.

Pardon the delay in responding, but I just found your response in my spam folder this morning. In the early stages of my 738 build I did indeed use a monitor for charts and moving map and it was great. My eyes are old and tired as well :slight_smile: I did also have an Android Tablet but new updates to Navigraph rendered it useless due to not being able to update the OS on it to what the new Navigraph software required. I’m pretty much just interested in two things…maybe 3 :slight_smile: Future proofing, achieving what I had when using a monitor and something that fits easily into my cockpit shell. I’m thinking windows based would probably be the most suitable (no Android or Apple IOS to worry about), can use wifi (no extra cables), Surface would have touch screen (no keyboard or mouse required) and small enough to fasten to the window ledge.

I guess I’ve pretty much answered my own question unless I’ve missed something critical and it’s good to know the App works well on the Surface as well.

Thanks very much for your reply,
Kind Regards,
Ed

1 Like

You only need a cheap tablet like the Amazon Fire tablet, which does the job. As long as it has google play :slight_smile:

However, my amazon Tablet is that old it doesn’t support it ;( and I need to get hold of a new one or at least get a good tablet that does the job.

Thanks for your input. I’m torn between a windows device (Surface Tablet) and/or an Ipad or Android Tablet. (expensive) I’ve always had a Samsung phone so probably Android would be best choice in my case with regards to Apple/Android. I did see a very cheap tablet today (100 dollars) that has Android 10 OS, but I don’t know if Navigraph Charts will run on that. Would you happen to know what the Minimum Android OS is for running Charts?

Thanks,

Ed

Hi,

As per the Charts overview page, Android 11 is the minimum required version.

Regards,

Stephen

Thanks Stephen, Somehow I had thought I had read 11 somewhere.

I was looking at the “Fire HD 10 Plus (2021)” or “Fire HD 8 Plus (2022)”

But it’s like one using newer OS 8 and the other is not but more ram as would help with charts having extra ram. Yet will OS 7 will support the app charts…?

You need Minimum OS 11.

Fire HD 10 Plus (2021) is OS 9 then

I am pretty sure I am going to go with a windows tablet…then there will be no OS issues. I had a samsung tablet that got to a point where it couldn’t be updated and charts no longer worked. Now a dust collector. Now you need OS 11…next year maybe 12… and so on.

I just found a tablet on NewEgg … Android 12… 233 CAD . I’ve ordered it, will let you know how well it works.

Ed

Not a bad price, I would consider Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 over that then the Lenovo

Hi,
Do Navigraph Maps work on iPad mini please?

Thanks.

Maybe @stephen can say whether Navigraph Maps works on iPad mini???

Thanks.

Hi,

Yes, it does!

Stephen

1 Like