VOR only route type

When generating a VOR-only route I frequently get

Should SIDs / STARs even matter for VOR-VOR navigation?

Thanks,
Dirk

It’s due to there being no VORs in reception range of your departure/arrival airport.

I’ve made some improvements, hopefully this should mostly fix the error. Still might not be perfect though.

Best regards,

Yeah that makes sense. The flight plan was ENBN - EFHK, and indeed the closest VOR for ENBN is SUM which is 142nm away (EFHK does have a close VOR). Anyways, I then planned the route manually in LNM by adding the BNN VOR (colocated at ENBN), which cuts this 142nm leg in half, but I understand that the automated routing wouldn’t be able to make tweaks like that…

Having said that, I just tried it again and now SimBrief does come up with a route (SUM UME VAS PIR HEL), so your improvements seem to be effective :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Thanks!!

Dirk

Another suggestion (I can create a separate new thread if that is more appropriate): I found that SimBrief sometimes includes TACANs in the route, which cannot be received in MSFS. So some kind of filter ability would be great (maybe also allow filtering out VORs without DME)…

Thanks!
Dirk

Hi, can you give a specific example of a TACAN that the route finder selected, that wasn’t usable in MSFS? That should help me narrow down/exclude affected navaids.

Hi,

sorry but I can’t remember which TACAN or route it was. I tried to regenerate the route for all recent flights that were in my SimBrief history but none of them come up now with a TACAN in the route. So either maybe you already fixed something by now, or it’s not consistently reproducible

I guess the main question, regardless which specific TACAN it was, is whether the current VOR-only route generation code would include TACANs if they fit within the route. If it does, then this will be a general issue, because afaik MSFS cannot tune into any TACAN (it only receives the DME reading).

Thanks,
Dirk

Hi Dirk, my understanding is that it shouldn’t be including the TACANs, which is why I was curious to see your route.

If it happens to you again, please let me know which route/TACAN and I’ll try to fix it accordingly.

Thanks,

Ah, that’s good to hear. Sure, if I come across this again I’ll let you know immediately.

Thanks!
Dirk

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.