[Solved] Flight tab left side

Is Not used icon correct, headwind if I am right. Should be OK to land
Same with Arrive that have tailwind

Is this correct or do I missunderstand something

???

Hello, welcome back to our forum!

I am not sure I am following, sorry.

You should always strive to both take off and land into the wind, tailwind should be avoided as long as it is possible. In the screenshot, there are two indicators used to determine a fitting runway for departure:

Wind information
Indicated using arrows to show crosswind and headwind components. Ideally, you are looking for the runway with the least crosswind and the most headwind.

image image

ATIS information
This is based on what ATC (real-world or online network such as VATSIM) has reported as “runway in use”. Sometimes, the runway in use is not necessarily the one with the best wind conditions, for various reasons such as noise abatement procedures and traffic management in busy airspace.

That is likely why, in this case, the airport is using 14L/R for arrivals despite a slight tailwind! If you are not flying on an online network, you are free to pick the runway with the most headwind instead.

image image

I hope this answers your question! If not, feel free to elaborate!

Kind Regards,
Malte

Ok I know about headwind to land and takeoff.

Thanks for the heads up. I always try to use a RW with headwind when checking ATIS.

Been simming since Sublogic Vic 64 era now XP12 and airliners most of the time and also done some real pilot training back in 1979-80. Ran out of money so did not make it to a license. Today many of my friends from those years that made it to a license have quit flying. To expensive to hire or own a plane.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.