“introducing faa sectionals” is blocking app 2

Hi

How can I avoid getting this “introducing faa sectionals” announcement. In VR you almost can’t reach the close button.

The main problem is the announcement itself, not that I can’t reach the close button without efforts, as the scaling is neccessary. One simply don’t want this kind of interruptions. Most of us are already pretty infected by the web-page-killing-announcements madness.

Br
Mats

p.s. I would suggest that you let the one announcing an issue (creating the post) be the one that close it as well.

Hello again!

Apologies if you found the closing of your topic premature. I will be more careful next time!

The issue that you described was very similar to the one in the topic that I linked to, and I was under the impression that the solution would be the same.

You should only get this popup once. After closing it, you should not be bothered about it anymore! If you are still seeing it after closing it once - something is not right and we should investigate it! Do you have this issue?

Kind Regards,
Malte

No I don’t, the case is the one I’ve described, an annoying “popup” when I start the app.

Mats

Sorry, I don’t understand. I asked if you were still having this issue - are you saying that you are not?

Do you get this popup more than once? It should only show once, and then never again.

Kind Regards,
Malte

Sorry, I thought youi meant during the same session.
I have this popup now and then, can’t tell exactly during what circunsrances it returns.
At least every evening as I run MSFS then.

I’ll try to be a bit more analytic from now. (I know, I’ve been a developer for 40 years)

Mats

And BTW also the Dismiss/Load flightplan popup can be a bit annoying as it shows up more than one time during the same session.

I see, multiple times would be unexpected for sure… Unless you also have to sign in every time? That is also unexpected and means our code cannot persist your choices across sim restarts.

That to me sounds like you are closing the panel with the “X” button multiple times every session. This completely resets the panel, I think that has been the case since SU7 or something like that.
We could try to compare the flight that is loaded in the simulator with the one that is loaded in the panel to prevent this. Will note this down for future improvement!

In the meantime, either use the minimize button instead or use the Ctrl + N keyboard shortcut to hide/show the panel! This will also result in a huge increase in speed!

Unless you also have to sign in every time?
No I don’t.

"That to me sounds like you are closing the panel with the “X” button multiple times every session. "
I usually close the panel by unselecting it from the toolbar. (clicking on the Navigraph logo)

Also, I use Navigraph both from 2D and from VR and I usually close the panel before I switch to either mode, then clicking on the toolbar in that new mode.

I almost never use the desktop version

" In the meantime, either use the minimize button instead or use the Ctrl + N keyboard shortcut to hide/show the panel! This will also result in a huge increase in speed!"

Thanks

Mats

This is essentially the same thing, so the shortcut is still an improvement!

Yeah, this will likely inevitably force the panel to reset, unfortunately.

Kind Regards,
Malte

I’ve got the same feedback. I’ve seen the “Introducing FAA Sectionals” pop up once. I don’t need to see it every time I start desktop Charts, or MSFS In-Game panel. I would suggest either a “Do not show me this again” checkbox, or some logic that shows the new features a set number of times (1 to 3 times) and then does not show it again.

There is such logic in place. You mention that you get this in the desktop app as well, is that correct?

Can you explain how this logic works so I can eliminate the startup screen.

Thanks,
Steve

That content is associated with a specific version of Navigraph charts. The first time it is shown, it stores this fact for any future sessions. If you then restart the app, it checks whether or not you have already seen the new content and if you have - it does not show it.

The only reason why this would fail is if it failed to save your first view for some reason…
This could happen in the In-game panel which has to rely on the shaky persistence inside of the simulator, which is why I am asking if anyone is also seeing this outside of the simulator!

Is that the case for you?

Kind Regards,
Malte

Ah, now I see which thread you came from originally. Yes, you are using the panel - in that case, there is not much we can do at the moment, unfortunately!

We will do a rewrite of the panel at some point in the not-too-distant future, and we shall take that opportunity to spend some time diving deeper into why the simulator in some cases is unable to persist information over restarts. Apologies for the inconvenience in the meantime!

The behaviour I see is;

1st time simulator is stated an Navigraph “FAA Sectionals” splash screen appears. Once you close it any new flights utilizing the Navigraph in game panel don’t show it. When I exit from MSFS and restart it and spawn a new flight the Navigraph in-game panel exhibits the same behaviour.

I get it that FAA Sectionals are now part of Navigraph. My request is the ability for me to eliminate that splash screen from ever appearing again. It adds no value to my experience and is a pain in the …

Thanks for a great product and Merry Christmas.

Steve

1 Like

This exactly aligns with what I believe to be the issue. Opening and closing the panel is not an issue, but when you restart the simulator there is a chance that it will lose track of the fact that it has shown you the new feature already. This is unfortunately out of our reach, and it has been a headache in the past with the panel forgetting that you have even signed in…

See this post for example, perhaps the mentioned solution there can help in this case too!

Merry Christmas & a happy New Year!

Kind Regards,
Malte

I can confirm that the FAA Sectionals Ad starts up every time I start MSFS 2020 no matter how I close it out. I use VR mostly so have the scale higher. I can’t get to the close button because the screen won’t pan with the FFA ad in place. It takes me a couple of minutes each time to change the scale dismiss the ad and reset the map scale. It’s very disruptive.

I agree with a post above, there should be a definitive box to check to disable it after if necessary.

2 Likes

During one single flight I had 1 FAA sectional to close and 4 Dismiss/Load to close
And then it all starts again with the next flight.
There must be a solution to this!

Br
Mats

I’ve found a solution, so far anyway, but it’s not the best one. I uninstalled Navigraph Charts completely. Then, I purchased a subscription for $9 a month and reinstalled. Now that I’ve dismissed the FAA ad, it has not returned in 3 or 4 MSFS 2020 launches. This is a sneaky way to get people to subscribe but it’s the only way I’ve been able to solve it.

Hi Rob,

We are pleased you have a solution, but it is not to do with your monthly subscription which simply renewed. We are not being sneaky at all; we have been upfront about the simulator sometimes losing track of the fact that it has shown you the new feature already.

Cheers
Ian