In game panel update

We are able to use charts 7 just not charts 8 inside the sim.

The problem is that I canā€™t do a plan in Charts 8 then use it in the panel in the sim when I am flying VR. What is insane is that there is no way for us to stay on Charts 7 until Charts 8 works with the in sim panel and you all knew this before pushing out the forced update. I went through this with someone else yesterday on another post.

I will repeat my workflow:
I plan my flight using Simbrief and Navigraph. Obviously, I plan routes, pin charts etc. Once that is all done, I enter VR and pull up the in sim panel for my charts. I donā€™t want to have to spend a bunch of time doing what I have already done outside of VR in Navigraph in the sim. While I am in VR, if I was going to do the plan again in the in game panel, I need to find the charts again, figure out what SIDS/Stars/Approaches I usedā€¦all stuff I canā€™t see in VR because it is either written down or in the Charts 8 app outside of VR.

I we just had a choice NOT to upgrade Charts 7 to Charts 8, this wouldnā€™t be an issue for me.

The Charts 7 desktop app automatically upgrades to Charts 8.

Without reading through all 84 pages, what exactly is the problem for us VR flyers?

Over here, the in-game panel works just fine. Of course not with the new look and missing any pinned charts but Iā€™m perfectly able to use it just like I used to. Only that I need to add those pinned charts.

Of course it would be nice to have the new look also inside MSFS but itā€™s not like I canā€™t use my Navigraph subscription in VR anymore.

Am I missing something here?

For me, the issue is mainly to do with VFR. I, and it appears a few of us, assumed that the in-game panel would be updated to version 8 on release. Thatā€™s what I was looking forward to the most, being able to fly both IFR and VFR in VR without removing the headset or importing external apps into VR (which affects frame rates and also introduces other issues not to mention being a PITA). Navigraph, as far as I know, neglected to mention this before the release so it was a disappointment for many of us to find this out.

On top of this, there doesnā€™t seem to be a sync between version 8 and the in-game panel which is still on version 7. So if you want to use the in-game panel during flight you have to plan your flight using the in-game panel rather than version 8 unless you want to input the plan twice (someone correct me if Iā€™m mistaken on this). Itā€™s not the end of the world but it doesnā€™t have the polish that Iā€™m used to with regard to this software.

That said, Iā€™m confident the smart people of Navigraph will figure out some way of providing us with an updated version of that beautiful in-game panel. May my flattery inspire and motivate all you devs :smile:

Flattery acknowledged and forwarded to the dev team :wink:

Got it. I donā€™t fly VFR very often.

As for the sync, I normally just import my OFP from SimBrief and Iā€™ve noticed what you say how I now need to do it twice. Both outside MSFS and then again inside MSFS.

However, since itā€™s just an import in my case, not that much hassle. I do understand the pain though when you need to do this twice if manually creating the FP.

As mentioned, I donā€™t doubt Navigraph will find a good way forward. Been enjoying what Navigraph have to offer for as long as they existed and they always provided top class solutions.

EXTREMELY disapointed and have cancelled my accountā€¦ Scam company and not revealing the truth and have no respect for VR users in gameā€¦ you had your chance

You cant access the latest version of navigraph (charts 8) for users doing VFR in VRā€¦

absolutely!!! what a way to treat paying customersā€¦ really poor performance from themā€¦
Im in VR and now its USELESS

A short update on this topic:

We have had good progress, almost all hurdles have been overcome or worked around, and we will have something to announce soon.

There will be some limitations in the Charts 8 version for In-Game Panel, mainly concerning the map (e.g. no Globe projection, no track up moving maps, no map filters) but in most other aspects it is Charts 8. With VFR map, autopinning, METAR/TAF, runway winds, etc.

We will provide more details soon.

Regards,

Stephen

15 Likes

This is great news. Thanks for the update :partying_face:

Fantastic news from the ā€˜Big manā€™! Really looking forward to see what youā€™ve managed soon.

Thanksā€¦

Happy to see what I said here was confirmed to be true only the day after :slight_smile:

Have to say that I was a little disappointed when all of the new features werenā€™t available in the in game panel but I think a bit of perspective is needed.

The amount of work that must go into making these charts seems staggering! So much information and all fantastically rendered and Iā€™ve never had any issues with it. Iā€™ve always been so impressed with the service.

I hope that the devs find a solution but if past efforts are any indication of the future then I think weā€™ll all have the update we were hoping for.

Thanks for all of the hard work folks!

1 Like

Thanks for the reply,

we are all waiting

This suggestion is not optimal but would go a long, long, long way if possible. Current solution is pretty lousy for both VR and single monitor users.

This sounds incredible. Thank you so much to the team for the quick response to this issue.

Would it be possible to allow us to zoom in and out of the Navigraph in game panel using the joystick on the oculus controller as the mouse wheel?

Currently this is not possible with the in game panel which can make zooming in and out of charts quite clunky.

Brilliakt update !!!

Like @stephen said there has been progress on this issue. Here is a picture and a video from this afternoon of Navigraph Charts 8 running as In-Gamle Panel on Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020.

To be compatible with the rendering technology used in FS2020 the In-Game Panel now uses rasterized chart tiles instead of vectorized. In the video you can see them load. The speed with which they load is going to be faster when the tiles are cached on our servers. You will also see that the FPS is stable despite panning and zooming in in the In-Game panel.

We are currently working on the virtual keyboard. Like Stephen said, with rasterized tiles we cannot support globe projection, track up on moving maps, or map filters, but most other functions from Charts 8 will be there - VFR charts, autopinning, METAR/TAF, runway windsā€¦ You will also be able to prepare a flight on any other Navigraph Charts 8 instance, and access the flight and its pinboard with pinned charts in the In-Game Panel. This latter use case is especially important to VR users we learned.

This is a team effort, and I am only reporting some of the progress. My colleagues will fill you in with more details closer to release which is expected in a few days.

9 Likes