How to handle outdated (wrong) data

This is not about missing data or airports in MSFS!

Today I looked into the forum in order to ask why Berlin-Tegel (EDDT) still exists in your data sets. Up to today I thought Navigraph is one of the helpers to be as close as possible to reality. Unfortunately it’s definitely not the case. Probably the request including it again came somehow from Russian side. And yes, I saw that you fulfilled that request not too long ago.

In reality the former airport serves as a big camp for a couple of thousands refugees in Berlin. Most of them are Ukrainian. You may even detect big tents when using recent satellite photos and even a fence including most of the former apron. BTW, former EDDI might be such a candidate, too.

My suggestion, as a compromise, is to offer an option (via a radio button?) to include such kind of historical data optionally, e.g. for people who want to to fly historical flights. That would be quite unrealistic anyway as Tegel as it was in it’s last days of service was build between '65 and '75 I think. I loved it (and even more EDDI), but we are living today and when flying I want real traffic and real navigation data - as far as possible.

Hi,
we use real world data, ss real as it gets.

Sometines we add tailored (in most cases 99% not outdated data) records to support the community and to life the mind: as real as it gets.

With respect, all these requests have nothing todo with any political background - also to add the tailored records for EDDT. Please accept that.

The main reason to add it 2022 was due requests from our user, from different countries (when you use the search you can find it here). Orbx and Gaya has releasted new sceneries for this airport in this time but it was still deleted in our data since AIRAC 2105.

Therefore the request to add it back, as ie. Kai Tak (the former airport with the checker board / IGS approach) to use the sceneries. We have done this in AIRAC 2205.

We have added only a handful (one hand) outdated airports (where the data exists) but the effort to build own historical packages with these few airports are to big.

I hope you understand the background a little bit more now.

Cheers
Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your answer - and I’m sorry for my assumptions. There is a little bit history behind. After installing MSFS quite a while ago I found EDDT still busy even it was already decommissioned (except the still existing helicopter site at the northern apron). As I was used from FSX I decided to build a scenery to suppress it, at least the traffic, including Rwy X-marks, no starting points, no lights and so on. I used ADE 20 Alpha to do so and it worked. So I decided to upload this solution to flightsim.to, but recently someone posted a comment, thanking for this add-on- enabling him to select and to land at EDDT as part of the German Bush Trip.

In a brief check I found out, that MSFS has no more any visual sign of this airport included. So my first conclusion was that my own scenery triggered now the (hidden?) appearance. My decision was consequently to remove the scenery from flightsim.to and from my Community folder. But this only helped when the whole folder was shifted away. I asked Agent Ransack to search for “EDDT” and the tool soon offered a positive result in folders of Navigraph. I wasn’t surprised anymore as I found the airport in PMDG’s navdata before.

Thus I had to revise my first conclusion about the reason and will test now whether I can solve my problem by changing priorities. *) Anyway, I hope for your understanding about my spontaneous annoyance.

BTW, when I want to play (!) with Kai Tak, I activate it and fly it visually (using the Checker Board and paper charts). Often Chek Lap Kok (VHHH) is my departure airport for such special training and it’s only a short hop to Kowloon. I’d been often there in RL and saw lots of questionable landings while sitting in the Kai Tak lounge and know :wink: what they are cooking at Ma Chung (right side of the final approach).

You wrote:

We have added only a handful (one hand) outdated airports (where the data exists) but the effort to build own historical packages with these few airports are to big.

Okay, I have to accept it - however, I would like finding those specials in a read.me after downloading.

Best regards
AB

*) EDIT: Navigraph (the BGL) has always the highest priority. It only helps with LittleNavMap. I’ve used the Developer Mode tool and renaming, nothing worked.

Hi again,
thanks for your answer, fully understandable and absolutely ok. So, all is good.

But I’m honest, I haven’t fully understand what you have done or what you want to do. You don’t need to use this data, this airport when you don’t want it …

What is the benefit when you can add or remove EDDT?

Sorry for the possible silly question, but I don’t really see the reason for that.

Cheers
Richard

PS: you can’t re-order only a specific airport from our package - you can only enable/disable the whole package

Hi Richard,

What I’ve done is just using a (meanwhile discontinued) tool allowing to add missed airports, move them to the right places, add, change or delete all facilities (except navaids). I did it for my own purposes about 600 times in FSX (with a previous stable version). Why? Simple to correct misplaced airfields, adding or transferring runways to taxiways, or to close them if they are not in use anymore - like Tegel (EDDT). MSFS had it still active for quite a while and even EDDI (closed in 2008 - I think) has had an “underground” life (but hidden). Both are wiped out, as in reality, even if both structures (!) are still recognizable when flying over. The structures are still in use (not for flying).

The benefit? Again, as real as it gets. Flying over Berlin offered a very active airport where nothing should be. I’m sad about it as I loved this place, but I can’t see a reason sticking on it’s existence.

I can understand that some people would like to see and to fly iconic airports (we discussed Tai Tak), specifically if they are challenging (dangerous), Tegel might be of interest as it probably still is part of the German Bush Trip (silly name).

What I’ve done? I tried to change the priority of scenery overlay in a way that I could suppress your “EDDT-is-back-again” data, just for my own use. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Unfortunately it didn’t work., I think for good reasons, to be honest.

Let it be my wish, that you would compile those extra data (the “handful”, as you wrote) separately.

Cheers,
Axel

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.