Freight setting - None

I have noticed that when selecting the ‘None’ option for freight, it still returns a random figure. On some occasions it brings back a max load that is restricted to allow a max landing weight even when ‘None’ is selected. Is this a bug?

Cheers Steve

Hi, please see the User Guide - Optional Entries section for a description of how SimBrief calculates freight.

By default, SimBrief adds passenger baggage based on the number of passengers (which you left in Auto for your flights). The freight option is used to add any additional freight on top of this.

If you don’t want SimBrief to automatically add baggage weight, you would need to set your custom airframe “Baggage Weight” parameter to “0”.

Best regards,

G’day mate, l understand what you’re saying with regard pax and baggage weight. I have set those weights accordingly in the ‘Saved Airframes’ page and they calculate as expected. While l have set a default value of 8004 kg for Cargo, there are some flights where l don’t want Cargo or want to set my own value. Simbrief does not give you that option (on the assumption that Cargo and Freight are calculated as separate entities).
The snaps below hopefully describe my issue regarding Cargo and not being able to set it as l see fit, particularly given Simbrief will on occasion limit the amount of cargo because it would otherwise exceed the MTOW.

Cheers Steve

Hi, the only thing I can suggest to have full control over your cargo weight is to set the “Baggage Weight” option to “0” in your airframe (highlighted in pink below):

If you want to be able to have some flights auto-assign the cargo, and others have full control over it, I recommend having 2 custom airframes. One with baggage weight (if you want SimBrief to control it automatically) and one without (if you want to have full control of the cargo weight through the Freight option).

Best regards,

Thanks mate. I have since worked out that the Cargo weight is related to baggage. There two issues as l see it.

1. Payload is inclusive of both Pax and Baggage weight based on the Airframe settings. That being the case, why have a separate Cargo figure when it has no bearing on the EZFW or simply call it baggage. After 40 years in aviation, cargo and freight amount to the same thing.

2. On occasion, the Cargo weight exceeds the maximum baggage weight. E.G. l have a maximum pax load of 176 with a baggage weight of 23kg (a maximum total of 4048kg). I have received Cargo weights of 8000kg or more which generally results in message to the affect of ‘Cargo weight limited so as not to exceed MTOW.

Cheers Steve

Hi Steve,

Not sure I understand exactly your question, but freight is not the same thing as baggage. Airlines routinely carry freight (packages that are being shipped from one location to another) in addition to the passenger baggage on the aircraft. This is what SimBrief’s “Freight” option is for.

Hence, normally SimBrief takes care of adding the baggage weight based on the amount of passengers you have. And if you want to simulate carrying extra freight, as most airlines do, you can add some using the “Freight” option.

Or, if you prefer to have total control of the weight in the cargo hold, you can set your airframe to use “0” baggage weight. Now SimBrief won’t add baggage automatically, and you will add it manually yourself using the Freight option. This way users can set up their payload as manually or automatically as they’d like.

Next time that happens please provide screenshots (of your flight options page and the resulting briefing) and I will take a look. In theory you should not have had a cargo weight of 8000 kg if you didn’t also add Freight. As you said, the auto-calculated baggage weight should have amounted to 176 x 23 = 4,048 kg.

Best regards,

I have no issue with freight and know full well that airlines carry freight. What is confusing is having both a Freight and Cargo category - they are the same thing. I would relabel Cargo to ‘Baggage’ so as to remove any confusion over what is cargo and what is freight.
In the Saved Airframes page you label it ‘Bag Weight’ so why call it cargo on the generated flight plan.

Cheers Steve

I’m using Simbrief, Navigraph, and MSFS (On Xbox X). In learning how to load the recently updated default 787-10 in MSFS, I had some difficulty understanding how to read and enter the weights provided by Simbrief, in to the MSFS Weight and Balance panel.

I had way too much free time the other day, so I came up with this cheat sheet to try to understand how Simbrief was calculating weights (before fuel).

If I’m not mistaken… “Freight” is in addition to “Baggage”, which Simbrief calculates based on passenger count x whatever baggage weight per passenger is set in the selected Airframe profile. It then calculates “Cargo” as Baggage + any added Freight.

If Freight is set to “None”, then Cargo will just be Baggage
If Freight is set to “Auto”, then Cargo will be Baggage + (a random amount)
If Freight is set to a custom number, Cargo will be Baggage + the number.
Tip - in MSFS W&B panel, take the Cargo number and split it between Baggage sections.

I calculated using:
• Passengers = Full, Freight = None
• Passengers = Full, Freight = max up to Max Zero Fuel Weight

Anyway, in case it is useful for anyone, here are 2 screen shots. I’m not using the Default airframe, and instead using one that appeared to better match the Working Title 787-10 in MSFS (in the Airframe drop-down menu on the Simbrief Create / Edit flight page).

How I calculated weights (before fuel) for a 787-10 KLM variant with 324 seats…

…and also a summary with numbers for a few different airlines.