ETOPS Fuel Scenario - ETP ADD

Hello SimBrief,

I have a question regarding ETOPS. The issue arises when you plan a flight where the destination is the closest of the last ETP. For example between YSSY and KLAX. We put for example PHTO and KLAX as suitable airports. In this case, the 2 engine depressurization always becomes limiting and ETOPS fuel is more than normal fuel to destination.

The issue arises when SB calculates if extra fuel needs to be added or not. I have always been thought that CONT fuel, for ETOPS planning scenarios, is considered to be used pro rata. In other words, if I have 1,300 lbs of CONT fuel, and the ETP is 12 hours into a 13 hour flight, I have 100 lbs of CONT fuel remaining. This is how it is described in my company manuals, and this is how it is calculated in another popular dispatch system. Simbrief uses the whole CONT fuel. So when in this other dispatch software, you have an X amount of ETP ADD, in SB you might much less or even no ETP ADD because it assumes you still have all of your CONT fuel.

Can you confirm if indeed that is how SB calculates it? And do you think this needs consideration of amending, or is the current way correct in that all CONT fuel needs to be considered? Because maybe this rule is just something in my CAA’s rules but not everywhere.

Regards,

Xander

3 Likes

Hi, thanks for the report!

I think you’re correct, I’ve updated the ETOPS fuel calculation to only take credit for prorated contingency fuel now.

Best regards,

This topic was automatically closed after 9 days. New replies are no longer allowed.