Etops Fuel

I have recently noticed there is some discrepancy with regards to ETOPS scenario. Simbrief does excellent job in working out ETOPS entry points/exits points/equal time points however it does not take fuel into account. When I look at my OFP (operational flightplan) fuel section, ETOPS fuel comes to 0. As far as I am aware there is additional fuel requirements for ETOPS which is then used to workout final block fuel. When I was using PFPX back in the days - this was taken into consideration and ETOPS fuel was added to final fuel load.

Any feedback on the above?

Hi,

Additional ETOPS fuel is only required if the planned fuel for your flight is insufficient to cover a diversion at the ETOPS critical point.

In other words, if at any point during the ETOPS segment, an engine failure or depressurization and subsequent diversion (plus reserves) would take more fuel than you are estimated to have on board at that point, then additional fuel will be boarded as ETOPS fuel. But in many cases, this is not necessary since SimBrief’s initial fuel planning (trip fuel + alternate fuel + reserve fuel, etc) results in enough fuel to cover all of the ETOPS diversion scenarios.

Hope this helps,

1 Like

Hello,

That does make sense now, normally I also put in extra fuel (Captain’s fuel) during planning which I assume results in more than enough fuel.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.