EGOD or EGFD for Llanbedr airfield?

Hi, I tried to import a friend’s flight plan which started at Llanbedr. His flightplan showed it as EGOD. Navigraph charts however shows it as EGFD. This caused confusion!

A bit of research suggests it is EGOD but I recommend this is triple checked.

Simbrief only contains EGFD (I guess that’s consistent, being Navigraph data).

Airport Codes | Search Results finds EGOD as Llanbedr and does not find EGFD.

Skyvector contains neither.

I just wanted to raise this in case the Navigraph data needs amendment but was not sure where to report this. Apologies if this is the wrong place.

Cheers
Guy

EGFD is the current and correct code for Llandbehr. EGOD is the old code.

Regards,

Tim

Edit: Navigraph’s data comes from a real-world provider, and will always contain current data; when in doubt (about airport code changes specifically), it’s simple: Navigraph’s database is correct and whatever other contradicting source you found is incorrect/outdated :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks ever so much, I’m not used to being so on the leading edge :slight_smile:

So even though I’m using Navigraph and MSFS (I used the Navigraph data center app), the navigraph updates don’t update the aerodrome ICAOs I guess.

I’ll go raise a ticket with MSFS to update their end.

(EDIT: EGFD in MSFS is Top Farm near Bassingbourne. How deep does this rabbit hole go :smiley: )

Right, we may not change the ICAO codes and also no runway-idents … that´s a limitation in the sim, because we could, we have all data available :wink:

Thanks @Rodeo314 for your help! Danke!

Cheers,
Richard

1 Like

Thanks Richard. Is there an up to date publicly accessible list of aerodrome ICAOs anywhere? Where do rw pilots go these days for this info (www didn’t exist back when I was flying ppl!)

No, not at the moment - but a good idea. I will add this wish to our feature-list … to compare the MSFS data with the real-world data. At the moment, the workload is a little bit too high, but possible during the free Christmas days … I will mark your posting here, and will inform you, when I have such a list.

Cheers,
Richard

Awesome, that sounds like a great idea. Thanks.

I just checked over on MSFS and looks like the EGOD / EGFD issue was reported back in March 2021. So I’ll not hold my breath!

An opportunity to nudge your contacts at Asobo for some data quality consultancy maybe :wink: ?

I normally use Wikipedia but there is also airportguide.com which is useful.

… just a side note - not often current according the real-world.

Cheers,
Richard

1 Like

Same for https://airportcodes.aero

Wikipedia is 50/50 I guess, I would not trust it either. Navigraph’s data and charts aren’t always 100% bug-free, but I don’t think I ever saw a case where an airport code was out of date. Using the Charts application as a reference really is the better option here.

Regards,

Tim

Thanks all. Agreed, online sources seemed to conflict somewhat. Researching the change from EGOD to EGFD (at merely a high level so far) is quite interesting though.

It’s taught me to look deeper when I encounter these anomalies. And to trust Navigraph are up to date :grin:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.