Jeppesen charts have incorrect color shading

I’ve noticed that Jeppesen charts aren’t rendered correctly in Navigraph Charts, where incorrect shades of colors are used compared to the real thing. Is this a known issue or is there a setting I missed somewhere?

Chart from Navigraph:

Real Jeppesen chart with correct shading (confirmed using several different real-world EFB tools - ForeFlight, Jepp FDPro):

Also perhaps unrelated, but I’ve noticed that Navigraph seems be serving up a non-current version of the chart I just posted.

I think the reason behind the charts not matching, is because these are two different charts. One is 21-3 for 16R and the other one is 21-1 for 16L

Oops - my bad. Disregard my comment about the chart not being current. :slight_smile: Just corrected the uploaded chart above. The original issue regarding the colors still stands, though.

I also just confirmed that this issue appears both in the native iOS app and the Navigraph Charts browser app.

I check my operators actual Jeppesen charts, and it’s the same. The water isn’t the same blue-hue.

Maybe this is Navigraph made colour scheme to make sure they are not Identical to the real deal and just to prevent usage IRL

or they just bought the enhanched version of the charts(or budget)

Jeppesen charts are vector-based, so it may just be a rendering error when Navigraph rasterizes them.

I understood exactly nothing of what you just wrote:) But that sounds like a good reason

Hi,

We use a slightly different coloring for the day mode charts, but the same coloring for night mode.

The reason is that it fits better with the other colors of the charts app, especially the water body coloring of the enroute chart (which closely matches the Jeppesen paper enroute charts).

This coloring was also a proposed change by Jeppesen but it never materialized (back in 2016, I believe): https://ww1.jeppesen.com/documents/educational/why-jeppesen-charts/Jeppesen_Airline_Charts_Series.pdf, I think mainly because these colors are harder to tell apart in high ambient light real world cockpit conditions. This is not a concern to Navigraph pilots who always fly indoors on the ground.

So, yes, the colors in day mode are slightly different but it is a concious design desicion by us and it has been approved by Jeppesen in our use case.

Kind regards,

Stephen

Got it- thanks for the context, Stephen! Just being fully transparent, I think the original Jeppesen colors provide significantly better contrast and are easier to tell apart various features on the chart (especially for terrain) regardless of the lighting conditions. Continuity with the enroute chart is a non-issue, at least for me personally.

Would be nice to have the option of switching back to the original Jepp colors.