Can't Install AIRAC Cycle or Navigraph Charts in Game - EPERM operation not permitted

After installing NAVIGRAPH NAVDATA CENTER and attempting to install AIRAC Cycle 2105 rev. 4 OR Navigraph Charts In-GTame Panel, program fails to install the necessary files with an error:
EPERM operation not permitted, mkdir 'C. I followed another post here where another user experienced the same issue. He uninstalled NAVIGRAPH NAVDATA CENTER and then reinstalled it and the issue went away. I, however, find the problem persists after I uninstalled and reinstalled it. What is the location of the directory that it is trying to create? What is the name of the directory? Can I create the directory manually and have the install complete successfully? Do I need to change security settings for that folder manually? This is a Windows 10 installation.

Hi…,

Welcome

Please confirm you have installed Navigraph Navdata Center installed into default prompted folders.

This installs updated data into …your msfs\LocalCache\Packages\Community or Packages\Offical\OneStore\ if it is installed from the marketplace

For steam these folders are located at %AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Community and %AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Official\Steam

Cheers
Ian

The install did not prompt me to install anything into any specified folder. The Navigrap[h Navdata Center is automatiocally installed in “C:\Program Files\Navigraph Navdata Center\Navigraph Navdata Center\Navigraph Navdata Center.exe”

I have uninstalled and reinstalled it several times. It makes no attempt to install anything into the Community or Official folders.

FYI – I am an experienced computer programmer. I checked the security settings on all these folder to insure that I had rights to add folders to them. I rebooted and reinstalled it to get the same message.

What subfolders is the program trying to create in either the Community or Official\OneStore folders?

Dr. Carter

Hi rscarter,

The default installation path for the NNC itself is not in Progam Files but in %localappdata%/Programs/. There is indeed an option to change this path during installation, but we might remove this in future updates to minimize support issues. It will not affect the problem that you have, but Program Files is usually protected so that updating of the app itself will fail if it is placed there.

EPERM errors will surface if your %localappdata% folder (and subfolders) are not readable or writable by the application. For security reasons we do not allow the NNC to run with elevated rights, so permissions must be in order for it to function properly, it cannot override these permissions by elevating itself. The Community and Official\OneStore folders needs to be readable/writable, the folders that are created in there by the application differs depending on what you are installing.

In addition to these folders, please also check that your %localappdata%/Temp has proper permissions. The installer creates a “Navigraph” directory in there where it stores temporary data.

Kind regards,

Markus

It was the Navigraph folder in %localappdata%/Temp that was the culprit. When I modified the security settings to that folder to grant full access to all users, the program updated the data in Community. Two folders there were created … Navigraph-ingamepanels-charts and navgigraph-navdata.

Thanks for your help and for getting back to me so quickly. If I can return the favor by testing things for you in the future, let me know.

Richard Carter, Ph.D

555 Oak Street

Indiana, Pennsylvania 15701-1974

724-349-7796

2 Likes

Great :slight_smile:

I would also recommend to completely uninstall the app and make sure that it is installed in %localappdata%/Programs/Navigraph Navdata Center

Otherwise you might have problems with the auto-updater when we issue a new update, which will happen soon.

Just post all problems you encounter in this forum and we will try to mitigate them. For example this EPERM error will be changed into something more user-friendly in the next update. Thanks for reporting and contributing to making our software better.

Kind regards,

Markus

The program is in fact installed in %localappdata%/Programs/Navigraph Navdata Center.

Richard

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.