SID and STAR with same name

This is probably a rare situation, but I just noticed that AYPY (Port Moresby) has some SIDs with the same name as a STARs - UNSAM1 was the one I tripped over, but I think NUPTA1 will have the same issue - which means that when after you select the SID for your departure, it actually loads the STAR chart (either using the Sync feature or right clicking on the elipsis button and selecting Open Chart). I could open and pin the chart manually.

I only tried it in the cloud version of charts.

Hi Dave,

Welcome.

I was able to select the UNSAM1 SID from AYPY Rwy 14L in Charts Cloud:

Please post similar screenshot using Guide to posting Screenshots.

Cheers
Ian

Yes, I can select it manually, but the automatic selection picks up the STAR not the SID. If I go:
and click Open Chart, it yields the STAR:

and not as I would expect the SID:

Ah, I see. We shall investigate.

Cheers
Ian

Hello @davegymer ! Thank you for reporting this.

We have made some changes in the recently released 8.31.0 version of the Charts application that should prevent this issue from happening. Try it out and let us know if it works as expected for you!

Kind Regards,
Malte

Thanks - that certainly seems to handle the reported case properly now.

I did spot another edge case, though this one’s arguably pathological and unlikley to crop up if you’re not doing what I’m doing and looking for devious ways to confuse it… If you plan a flight from Port Moresby back to itself, it’ll select the SID (AYPY UNSAM1 DCT AYPY) but then can’t select the STAR with the same name. Any other STAR is fine. I also tried selecting the STAR first (AYPY DCT UNSAM1 AYPY) and then the SID, which results in it adding the SID with that name but losing the STAR. If there are more waypoints it’ll lose them when it does that switch. probably not worth fixing as I doubt the scenario will crop up outside of arcane testing rituals. :rofl:

Hahaha, that certainly is an interesting scenario! While you are right in that it must be a very unlikely thing to encounter during normal use, I will note it down regardless!

If it’s OK by you though, I would like to close this particular topic as solved!

Kind Regards,
Malte

Believe it or not, the issue you mentioned has now also been fixed!
You should be able to add both the SID and the STAR to your route, as long as you have at least one waypoint in the route. In this case, a good suggestion would be AYPY UNSAM1 UNSAM UNSAM1 AYPY!

Enjoy!

Kind Regards,
Malte

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.