Simlink XPL File Problem - Win 10/XPlane 11.51

Hello,

Something must have happened to my PC earlier because my XPL files are now being associated with Internet Explorer, the Icon is now the explorer icon and Simlink doesn’t work…it’s only happened a few hours ago, this morning was fine and I’ve not installed any new software or played with any settings
I seem to remember the icon used to look like a blank piece of paper

For some reason, the icon has changed in windows explore on any files that are .XPL…simlink included and it’s nor sending data to the simulator

I’ve downloaded and reinstalled Simlink but as soon as its on my system, it defaults back to the internet explorer icon (even though it’s listed as XPL File in TYPE’ and it’s not sending any data

What do I need to do so it reads XPL files in the format they’re supposed to be read in…I’ve used Simlink and Navigraph for years and I’ve never paid much attention to the file type so any help would be highly appreciated

Regards,

Lee

Hi Lee,

Welcome.

Files with xpl extension are generally used by X-Plane 11 for plugins. If you have (accidently) associated xpl files with Internet Explorer it shouldn’t affect X-Plane using them, it generally defines the program invoked when you click on them to run. You can change the association back to X-Plane.exe.

Simlink uses …your \X-Plane 11\Resources\plugins\NavigraphSimlink_64.xpl, but you shouldn’t need to select or click on this file.

If Simlink is not running properly best to:

1. See FAQ - Simlink Install and Systray
  2. In Navigraph Simlink Plugin Settings, for your FS entry press Uninstall Simlink.
  3. Use Windows to uninstall Simlink.
  4. If they exist delete folders c:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Navigraph\Simlink and c:\Program Files\Navigraph\Simlink
  5. Download and install latest Simlink .

Please let us know how you get on.

Cheers
Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your help - I’d done all that except delete the two folders…did that and re-installed Simlink and it’s all working fine again now

Just to clarify about the XPL files that are associating with Internet Explorer…I can just leave them as they are since I have no need to open them?
X-Pane will read the data from them as they are?

Thanks again,

Lee

Hi Lee,

You are welcome.

Glad it is working.

I would leave the associations as is. The fact that the Symlink xpl is working shows X-Plane is reading the files correctly.

Happy flying

Ian

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.