International / oceanic flight and contingency fuel rules

For example, flight from an EASA country to the USA and vice-versa.

In terms of contingency rules, which is applicable? (1) that of the departing country, (2) that of the arrival country, (3) whichever requires the highest contingency or (4) something else?

Regards,

Tim

Probably a great question for some of the dispatchers on here!

But as far as I know, I think it’s normally the country of the operator (or whatever is written in their operator certificate). So operating the same flight (ex. KJFK-LFPG), Air France might use EASA rules, while American might use FAA rules.

Best regards,

1 Like

Thanks! I guess that does make sense :slight_smile:

Hopefully someone can confirm/infirm that it’s actually the case.

Regards,

Tim

1 Like

It would depend on your regulator. If you were an FAA-regulated operator, then the 1964-derived requirements of FAR 121 (10% enroute reserve), would apply, unless the operator held an authorization of one of the more ICAO-like fuel reserve schemes of redispatch, or performance-based fuel planning.

If you are not a US operator, then most of the rest of the world uses a 5% enroute reserve, reducable to a 3% enroute reserve with an enroute alternate. But coming from a US 121 world, I am not qualified to speak on how EU-Ops fuel rules works.

However, it is based on the State of the Operator as to who’s rules apply…

Thanks! What about part 91 and part 135, what are the contingency rules for those, do you know?

Regards,

Tim

For a certificated operator, we can use our authorizations (straight flag, or one of our authorizations) on the Part 91 operation; I can’t speak to 135.

On the 91 leg for example I dont have to play ETOPS; we remark the flight plan that it is a 91 leg (PART 91 OPNS RLSD BY JOE SHMOE), and I don’t sign that flight plan. I am still required to comply with any airspace requirement, e.g., CPDLC, PBCS, Dual HF, or whatever.

1 Like

Good morning,

as Derek stated, it’s based on the Operator.
EASA states in commission regulation 1321/2014 (“Air Operations”) under CAT.OP.MPA.150 “Basis Procedure” (and some additions) the requirements for contingency fuel which are basically applied under the “EASA” pre-selection of simbrief.

Shortly summed up:

• 5min (MINCONT)
  • 5% Trip Fuel (TF)
  • 3% Trip Fuel (TF) with En-Route Alternate (ERA) Aerodrome Selected
  • 20min
  • Statistically

However, the Fuel Procedure is currently changed with a new revision.

BR Alex

Thanks! I already knew of the EASA specifics from the discussion on the old simBrief forums, just wasn’t sure what would apply where.

You say it’s being changed— do we not know what the new rules will be yet, or maybe have an idea of what the actual changes will be? Just curious at this point :grinning:

Cheers,

Tim

They will be basically the same - there are now 3 options for operators to choose the variety of options.
The main difference is that as GA operator can choose from the easiest option (5min or 5%) and other’s, like major airlines with fuel consumption monitoring programs + statistics, can choose a more complex fuel calculation.

However, the above mentioned is still applicable for most commercial passenger (and freight) airlines.

BR from Munich,
Alex

1 Like