Flight levels allocated by Simbrief

The past 2 flights (at least) I have planned appear to be giving me incorrect flight levels. This morning I was going GCLP to ESSA and it gave me FL340. My understanding is that “East is odd and West is even odder” by which rule I should be given an odd FL. Or have I misunderstood?

Not necessarily, what exactly was the route ?

Spain, Portugal, France and Italy use a North/South rule.

The route is:
GCLP/03L VAST8A VASTO DCT NIDEB DCT TIGGI DCT GANSU DCT LISGU DCT INBOM DCT BALNO DCT LOTEE DCT GOPIN DCT IBLEX DCT ARTIV DCT AKIKI UN867 AVANT L980 MID DCT DIGSU P144 LARGA DCT SOPTO DCT RERPA DCT INVOL DCT DETSO N873 ARS T317 ELTOK ELTO3V ESSA/26

I’d not heard of alternate frameworks in those countries, will read more - thank you.

FL’s are likely to be even until UK airspace.

In addition prescribed levels on airways may also differ.

Hmm - confusing when I thought everything was really simple :slight_smile:

Assume this is the Quadrantal schema. Next time I’ll see if SB inserts a step when transiting UK.

Thanks

srcooke,

To be more precise, Spain, Portugal and Marseille Ctl from France UIR only, do use the N/S rule.

I am for some reason getting always when flying west from LSZH inside Europe FL190. Anyone has any idea what that is all about? Has been like that for ages already.

What type of aircraft do you fly ?
For as far as I know, there is no such a restriction.

Hi, I’ve looked through your recent flights but didn’t really see this. Which flight specifically are you being capped at FL190?

I did see one of your flights where the initial altitude was FL190 due to an airway restriction, but there was a step climb to a higher altitude only a few minutes later. Make sure to check if there is a step climb in your flight plan if you see a low initial altitude in the future:

Best regards,

I have been setting my FLs manually when flying west from Zürich. I think the issue seems to be the route to LFML. For some reason that always gets assigned FL190 with AUTO… And now for some reason I tried after LSZH/LFML also LSZH/LEMD and got assigned FL190 as well. Confused.

Even more confused now. I just created two plans from LSZH to LFML. First one I got FL310, and now I got yet again FL190…

And now, again FL310, puzzled

Hi,

I explained this in my post above:

On the flights where your initial altitude was FL190, this was due to an airway restriction. The reason that some flights have it and others do not depends on your aircraft weight. If the aircraft is heavier, you will climb slower, and will therefore clear the restricted airway before you pass above FL190. When lighter, you will climb faster, and may need to level off briefly on the airway at FL190.

In all of your flights where the initial altitude was FL190, there was a step climb only a few miles later up to FL270-FL370. The image in my quoted post shows where you can find the step climb info, in this case FL190 until waypoint “ROTOS”, then FL310.

Best regards,