CTD Simlink or likely MSFS

Hopefully I’m posting this right. I’ve had CTDs using Navigraph alongside MSFS2020 since the recent MSFS update. The CTD happens on any flight and always just after take-off. If I do not start Navigraph then I can do any flight. I’m wondering if the Simlink side of things is no longer compatible because I’ve had quite a few occasions where Navigraph has refused to connect to the simulator. When it has been unable to connect I’ve run LittleNavMap and that connects immediately. This leads me to think that SimLink is the culprit. Happy to provide logs if told where to find them. Dave

1 Like

Oops, this is a simbrief thread. I don’t have any trouble with that. Apologies, just started with this bbs.

Just in case my previous comment was glanced at, my latest discovery is that MSFS CTDs when any external program is swapping data with it, but depending on the program the CTD happens at different points in a flight, so it’s not just Navigraph. Some users experience consistent CTDs but others don’t, and I’m one of the unfortunate ones. It could be anything at this point but looks like MSFS related. Apologies for both posting here and thinking it was Navigraph.

I’m getting CTDs in MSFS whenever I use Navigraph, or indeed any other software that communicates with MSFS. Since Navigraph is the only “essential” chart source that I want to use it’s important to have access to it, but if I run it alongside MSFS I may as well take up gardening.

I tried to explain to the MSFS zendesk that this was ANY external program running alongside MSFS to act as a navigation aid, e.g. Navigraph, VatSpy, LittleNavMap, and even vPilot, and that this issue has only arisen for a number of users (finger in the air figure of about 1% of users) after the most recent MSFS update.

This was the response… “Thanks for contacting Microsoft Flight Simulator Support today. We do not support third party applications within the sim. The Navigraph team will need to update their software to resolve the issue.” :hushed:

… Hence me wondering if I can remove SimLink and still use Navigraph. This is what’s known as doing “whatever it takes!”

Hi…,

Welcome.

Sure you can use WIndows to uninstall Simlink. Charts doesn’t need Simlink to run, only if moving map is needed.

Maybe then you can determine what is causing the CTD’s in MSFS?

Cheers
Ian

Thanks Ian, I’m sure that Navigraph is not at fault here. Worryingly I noticed that on the Microsoft site they seem to deliberately not be updating information on the simconnect API pages, which makes me think they may want others to interface to the simulator via the community folder instead, in the same way that “Unreal Weather” does (a javascript app that “injects” real METAR into the simulator weather engine), or perhaps even not at-all! Heaven knows.

At least Navigraph plays nicely with SimBrief, and I can download Simbrief flight plans directly into the CJ4 FMC via the excellent Working Title CJ4 mod (and yes, I removed their offering from the community folder, as well as everything else, when trying to eliminate the CTDs :blush:).

Anyway, now for something more serious. I wish you and all of the staff at Navigraph a very successful and happy new year!

Stay safe,

Dave

Hi Dave,

You are welcome. Thank you for kind thoughts.

Wishing you a Happy and Healthy 2021

Cheers
Ian

Hi again Ian,

Just a very quick follow-up. Microsoft has sent another email in response to me querying their first email…

“Apparently there’s an issue with Simconnect across all platforms (not only Microsoft Flight Simulator).
We are currently investigating this issue. In the meantime, we would recommend to disable Simconnect.”

Have a good one! :blush:

Dave

2 Likes

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the valuable update !

Happy New Year

Cheers
Ian

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.