Callsign generation on Simbrief

Hi o/

I’d love it if simbrief was able to generate a Callsign based on the IATA Flight number. It would require for Simbrief to get a mapping table (Company IATA → ICAO callsigns). In my flow, I enter a flight number (when often, digits are not real, but the Company IATA is) and forget to enter the callsign. Which become obvious only when I pre-fill my network flight plan (IVAO / VATSIM) which requires a callsign.

The other way can make it also. Move the “callsign” input at the first position, from which you deduct the IATA company code and invent a flight number (which to my knowledge is not really used by simmers ?).

Cheers,
K

Hi,

Actually, SimBrief is designed for you to enter the ICAO airline code in the “Airline” input. Then the callsign will automatically default to a combination of the “Airline” and “Flight Number” inputs together.

This is more reliable than an IATA → ICAO mapping which will often become outdated, and which would be frustrating for users who are flying fictional airlines.

Best regards,

Well,

It’s probably more reliable but also wrong, except if you put an exotic flight number.

Take this example. AFR is the ICAO company code. AF23 is the flight number. Simbrief then generates a callsign of AFRAF23.

You’d say that i can just enter the “23”, numeric part of the flight code. But companies don’t always use the flight code as a callsign. See for example the flight by EasyJet 2204 :

• callsign is not related to flight number (EZY21TF)
  • the ICAO code can’t be decided from the IATA flight number (see that the U22204 is sometimes operated by EZY, sometimes by EJU. IATA company code can be deduced from ICAO callsign, though. I think :stuck_out_tongue:

Writing this, I see that the request for feature I made is not simple. I think an acceptable solution would be to move the callsign on top-left of the form, and put the Flight Number (which is less used, t my knowledge) at the bottom, so that “used field” (to not say “required fields”) are in the main form, and other fields are at the bottom.

Probably not an emergency, anyway :wink:

Cheers !
K.