Minimum Android versions in future?

This forum answers all questions about products before you decide to become a subscriber.

Moderator: Ian

VitaminA330

Minimum Android versions in future?

Post by VitaminA330 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:58 pm

Hey!

I just wanted to write this into the "Charts Android" forum, but I have "no permission to get access" there, no idea, why. Here`s my question:

How "old" may the Android version of a tablet be to run the charts app successfully? Some weeks ago, I've cancelled my subscription because my tablet was too old to run the charts app and too slow to do the same with the charts clould via an internet browser. I can't update Android anymore which means I would need a new tablet to see any proper charts again.
Now, I've thought about buying a tablet second-hand. However, even relatively new second-hand tablets aren't a lot chaper than new ones. So, if I really want to save money on the tablet, I have to assure that it isn't too old again in a few months - with Android being the limiting facor.

What Android version is needed at the moment to run the app? And more important: How frequently will the app require a new Android version when it's updated?
To make an example: I would get a Samsung Tab A from 2016 second-hand, let's say for 80€ with Android 6.0 installed. For now, it may run (?), but I'm afraid that in a year you will say "Sorry, that new app will only work with Android 9 or higher" and the Tablet can't be updated anymore. I guess high performance of the tablet isn't a big point there, because "just" showing charts shouldn't be too much of an issue even for a slightly older machine.

As I strictly separate the devices I need for my job and for hobbies, this tablet really hardly has to so anything else than showning charts for FS.

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Dominik

m4rkus

Re: Minimum Android versions in future?

Post by m4rkus » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:40 pm

Hi Dominik!

The access to the various subforums is currently only available to subscribing users, that is why you could not post in the Android subforum.

Your first question is easy to answer: Navigraph Charts for Android currently has a minimum requirement of Android 5. Although that is the minimum requirement, we recommend running Charts in versions of Android that are still supported by Google, which is 7+.

As for the question of how frequently we will stop supporting older versions I don’t have an exact answer to give you. We currently don’t have a fixed policy in place for when to stop supporting legacy Android OS. When we decide to stop supporting an older OS it is an informed decision which always is taken with the aim to provide best value for as many of our users as possible. For example, the decision to stop supporting Android 4.1.1 was taken as the technology we used for having the apps working under 4.1.1 forced us to build the app as 32-bit executables only. If we did not make that change, Google would have stopped us from updating the app at all starting this summer as they require us to release 64-bit targets as well.

Since Android 5 and 6 are not receiving security updates anymore we might be forced to stop supporting these systems if a security issue surfaces that threaten the security and/or data integrity of our systems or our users. It could also be that we decide to stop supporting these systems because we actually need to use the modern functionality of the newer systems in new features that are requested by our users. The vast majority of Navigraph Android users are not using these systems when running Charts which is also a parameter that is considered when we decide to stop supporting an OS.

The current Navigraph Charts product line is not only “just showing charts” but is aiming to be the best source of updated data of all kinds for our users. We are currently doing lots of operations regarding routes, procedures and enroute-map visualizations that requires CPU power. For the coming developer-year we are implementing METAR and TAF and hopefully rasterized weather, VFR and various other features that are frequently requested from our users. These new features will most probably also need a modern CPU and graphic chip on the device to perform as intended. However, if you are only interested in viewing the charts and want to buy an older second hand unit, I would suggest that you choose a device which is currently on the latest Android version and where the manufacturer guarantees that it will be possible to update it for a future time-frame that suits you.

Kind regards,

Markus

VitaminA330

Post by VitaminA330 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:45 pm

Hi Markus,

Thanks a lot. That's a lot of useful information concerning the problem. I was aware there wouldn't be an exact answer, however with this in mind, it might be a better decision not to buy a cheap second hand tablet, as I might have the same problems again in the near future.. could a Windows tablet be a wiser choice, as for example Windows 10 has been around for a longer time without the need to update? I doubt that anyone will guarantee a certain ability to update to a certain Android version, let alone a second-hand device..

But I just had a wholly different idea which might be a bit off-topic here... However: Would it be possible to get a second monitor and to run P3D on the main monitor and all the navigation stuff (Charts app, Simbrief and Active Sky) on a secondary monitor? I've never thought about dual monitors before... How much will this affect performance?
I have a GTX 970 - which in times of P3D v4 will probably be the limiting factor more than CPU or RAM. It can still handle P3D v4 pretty well even with complex addons, and Active Sky, Chase Plane, Simbrief (on Firefox) and the charts cloud (at the time when I still had the subsciption) in the background. However, does a second monitor need significally more performance by the graphic card?

Ian

Post by Ian » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:43 am

Hi Dominik,

I have had dual 30 inch monitors for years, and can never go back to a single monitor. They make for great flexibility in display real estate, and the ability to drop apps on the second full screen or part screen without having to resize FS on the other screen. As to performance, my old GTX 680 handles them well. I suspect my FS frame rates are more a function of CPU performance than dual monitors.

You might like to Google the web for FS configs, and impact of dual monitors.

I am about to build a new machine and again it will have two 32 inch monitors with a fast GPU.

Cheers
Ian

VitaminA330

Post by VitaminA330 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:39 pm

Ian wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:43 am
I suspect my FS frame rates are more a function of CPU performance than dual monitors.
Definetely in FSX. But P3D has gone more and more GPU demanding. That's why I was curious. But as people report in various forums, there shouldn't be a big difference when using the 2nd monitor only for "side apps", and not for P3D itself.

I think I will go for it. I might need a new desk though :lol:

Thanks a lot for the quick and useful replies.

Cheers, Dominik

Ian

Post by Ian » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:02 pm

Hi Dominik,

You are welcome.

Happy flying.

Cheers

Ian

Return to “Pre-purchase Questions”