Why no FMS Data Monthly Subscription?

This forum answers all questions about products before you decide to become a subscriber.

Moderator: Ian

kevinh

Why no FMS Data Monthly Subscription?

Post by kevinh » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:49 am

Navigraph offer an annual FMS Data + Charts subscription, an annual FMS Data subscription and a monthly FMS Data + Charts subscription. Why is there no monthly FMS Data option? I have no use for the charts service, I only need FMS data updates. However I don't need every update, quarterly is enough. I used to buy the four updates per year subscription when that was available. A monthly data subscription would be very useful alternative as the monthly data + charts price is very expensive.

For annual subscriptions data + charts is nearly three times the price of data only. So I would expect a monthly data only subscription would be proportionally cheaper than for data + charts, perhaps €3.50 a month?

Currently four monthly updates of data + charts is €39.84. Last year, four data updates in a year only cost €17.52. The cheapest I can get four updates now is with an annual data subscription at €31.08, but still substantially more than the discontinued four updates per year subscription.

Either I'm paying for charts I don't want or for more data updates than I need.

Kevin
Kevin Hall

stephen

Re: Why no FMS Data Monthly Subscription?

Post by stephen » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:39 am

Kevin,

The removal of the 4 cycle subscription has been mentioned before, http://www.navigraph.com/forum/viewtopi ... 377#p25377, with the combined temporal and a usage-based expiry as a major flaw in the subscription and a source for continued confusion among the users.

We can't sell items for ~3.50, or even in that domain. The fixed part of the transaction fees consume all the revenue. Before, when we had 30-day (non-recurring) FMS Data subscription, it cost 6.50 Euro. Had we made this subscription recurring, the price per month would still need to be in this domain. However, given the close proximity in price between this and the Ultimate Monthly, we have decided to make things simple and only have one monthly all-in-one subcription. For the same reason, there is no monthly charts-only subscription.

Regards,

Stephen

kevinh

Post by kevinh » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:51 am

Hi Stephen,

I've just read the reasons you gave for stopping the four update subscription in the other thread you linked to. The main reason given being some people didn't understand it. Personally I don't see what is not to understand. You got to select four updates out of a possible thirteen cycles in a calendar year. Simple. It was a cost effective solution for those who wanted to keep reasonably up to date without buying every cycle. Now you can only buy single updates (by cancelling a recurring subscription) which is the most expensive method, or a continuous subscription of data only. Both are much more expensive than the withdrawn four updates subscription.

You argue that 6.50 euro per month isn't much cheaper, but four of those cycles is nearly 14 euros less than four data+charts updates. Still roughly 8 euros more than the old four cycle offer but a significant saving worth having nonethless. Do you really think 14 euros makes no difference? The effect of the change was to increase prices significantly for customers who don't want every cycle. A change which you argue is better because you don't have to explain how the four cycle subscription works but which just happens to bring Navigraph more income.

I find it astonishing that you consider 6.50 compared to 9.98 isn't a difference worth bothering with and so everyone has to pay the higher price whether they want the charts or not. If it's such a trifling sum why not charge the lower price?

Kevin
Kevin Hall

stephen

Post by stephen » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:44 am

Kevin,

6.50 is without VAT. With 20% UK VAT, it is 7.8 Euro. So the difference for 4 such updates compared to Ultimate Monthly isn't 14 Euro but 8.64 Euro.

It might have been clear to you, but at this moment the 4 cycle subscription expiry misunderstanding is still one of the most common issues in our email ticket system, more than 6 months after it was discontinued.

I won't continue to argue regarding our commercial decisions. I fully respect your standpoint and we value your feedback as a long standing customer. But we're not planning to change the current set of subscriptions.

Regards,

Stephen

kevinh

Post by kevinh » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:30 am

Stephen,

It's been a while since I visited these forums so I haven't read your reply to my post until now. I had been hoping for a more positive response. I understand that it's not viable for you to offer FMS data only on a per month basis but bundling it in with charts to make it commercially viable for you doesn't make it attractive to customers like me who don't require charts.

On your website subscription page there is a note saying that for those seeking ad hoc access to navdata you recommend the Ultimate Monthly package. Apart from it being the only monthly package you offer it is also by a long way the most expensive package you sell. It's no surprise you recommend customers buy it.

If I take your advice and buy four monthly subscriptions over one year, that represents an increase of 128% over the price of the four cycles per year subscription you withdrew because your customer support people were unable to explain how it worked. A cheaper option is to buy an annual FMS data subscription, but it still represents a 77% cost increase for the four updates per year that are all I need. It's definitely a case of heads you win, tails the customer loses.

The solution to the support problem is straightforward. Create an FAQ page on the website, explaining in detail how each subscription works including examples to clarify the four cycle option. Then for every support ticket you get about the four cycle per year subscription you send a standard reply linking directly to this FAQ page. Could be a single click action by the support agent. Aerosoft offer exactly the same type of subscription for NavDataPro and the only thing stopping me switching to their service is the fact that they do not currently support Simbrief.

It's a sad state of affairs that this attractively priced limited access subscription was withdrawn because Navigraph couldn't find a way to make it clear to customers exactly how it worked. I'm sure you didn't intend to impose such large price increases as a result, but I don't think you made any effort to take the customer's viewpoint into account.

Best regards

Kevin
Kevin Hall

Return to “Pre-purchase Questions”