Simlink on networked computer

This forum answers all questions about products before you decide to become a subscriber.

Moderator: Ian

bauerart

Simlink on networked computer

Post by bauerart » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:31 pm

Can Simlink (for beta of Charts Cloud moving maps) be run on a networked computer, or must it be run on the flight sim machine?

maxholt

Re: Simlink on networked computer

Post by maxholt » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:22 pm

Hi bauerart (what's your name?)

Simlink is intended to be installed on the same computer as where you run the simulator. Simlink then sends the position reports from the simulator to a Navigraph server on the Internet. When you open any Charts software and log in with your account, Charts will fetch the position report from the Navigraph server and draw your aircraft position as a part of the Moving Maps function in your Charts software.

This means that your simulator computer must be connected to Internet.

This is the default setup which we are testing right now. If you want things to work out of the box (-ish), then this is the preferred setup.

If you want to network your computers locally a bit more I think that there might be ways to install Simlink on a separate computer networked with the sim machine and have SimConnect on the sim machine talk to Navigraph Simlink on the other networked computer which in turn in connected to Internet, but this setup has not been tested yet. Here are some Google links if your are interested.

Good luck. Please report back if you get anything running. :)

Cheers,

Magnus

bauerart

Post by bauerart » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:36 am

Thanks, Magnus.

I appreciate the timely response!

It sounds like I could install Simlink on the sim machine (as it is intended to work out of the box), and then log into Charts from a second computer so as to have the moving map display workload not on the, already overloaded, sim machine.

If that is the case, I have my credit card ready.

Cheers,

-- Art

maxholt

Post by maxholt » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:32 pm

Hi Art.

That's exactly how it should work.

You might be interested in knowing that we are releasing Charts Desktop as well as Simlink with P3Dv4 support for Open Beta in just a few minutes. Check your inbox for an invitation to all subcsribers.

Cheers,

Magnus

bauerart

Post by bauerart » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:22 pm

Excellent timing. Life is good.

Thanks once again.

bauerart

Post by bauerart » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:46 pm

Hi,

I purchased the Ultimate product on Friday but I am not allowed access to the support forum for the product or the beta. I have a CTD issue when NavigraphSimlink.dll is enabled and was hoping to sort that out via the forum.

Thanks!

maxholt

Post by maxholt » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:30 pm

Ouch, that's a lot in one go.

I am have notified the team about you not having access to the forum.

Until you have proper forum access, we can start a little debugging here if you like.

Can I see your C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\dll.xml before and after installing Simlink?

Also, do you have a Simlink folder in your Documents\Prepar3D Addons folder? Which files are located in there?

Can I also get a screenshot of your Plugin Status tab under the Status interface in Simlink, which you reach by rightclicking the Simlink icon in the tray.

Lastly, please create a log file by following the instructions below and attach this log file to your next forum post as well.

If you are suspecting that your plugin file is not loaded, you may turn on a console. For P3D, you can do this by placing a file named simconnect.ini in your C:\Users\[your username]\Documents\Prepar3D v3 Files folder. It should contain these lines:

Code: Select all

[SimConnect] 
level=verbose
console=1
RedirectStdOutToConsole=1
OutputDebugString=1
file=<any path>\fsx.log

<any path> should be replaced with a file path on your computer where you want your own log file.

That should give us some information to go on.

Thanks.

Magnus

Return to “Pre-purchase Questions”