Compatibility with FlightGear

This forum answers all questions about products before you decide to become a subscriber.

Moderator: Ian

FelixINX

Compatibility with FlightGear

Post by FelixINX » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:48 pm

Hello,

I am wondering if Navigraph FMS is compatible with FlightGear. Does anyone have tested it?

I did find something in the FG Wiki but it seem's old and I would like to have more info from you.

Thanks!

- Félix

Ian

Re: Compatibility with FlightGear

Post by Ian » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:25 pm

Hi Félix,

Welcome.

FlightGear is not a currently supported Navigraph format. Their Wiki suggests there may be some way to use our Level-D FMS data. I suggest you contact FlightGear to determine how best to achieve this. If they wish to become a supported format, please have them contact us at dev@navigraph.com

Cheers
Ian

FelixINX

Post by FelixINX » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:13 am

Ok I'll look with them.

Can I user like me build a installer for FlightGear?

Thanks,
Félix

Ian

Post by Ian » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:00 am

Hi Félix,

I guess if it is for your own use only, you could do that. But it is better to have the developer make a case for their own format, or an existing format.

Cheers
Ian

IsaakD

Post by IsaakD » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:31 am

Hi there,

You can use the level-D 767 format for FlightGear (I use it). You just have to rename the airport.xml's (e.g. ICAO.xml) to e.g. ICAO.procedures.xml and place them in the scenery/airports/I/C/A folder (for EGLL this would be renaming EGLL.xml to EGLL.procedures.xml and placing it in scenery/airports/E/G/L). I have a small batch script which I run to do this automatically for me after I update the FMS-data, but it takes about half an hour to finish all of Navigraph's airport files.

Flightgear comes with a new stable version every three months and currently sees over a 100 000 downloads for each version (see here), so I would definitely suggest the Navigraph developers to get in touch with the FlightGear developers to see if a FlightGear format can be included to serve the FlightGear users. The potential new customers are huge so if Navigraph can provide a little more convenience in updating the FMS-data, a broad new audience might be attracted.

I was searching the forums for a simlink plugin for FlightGear (should be easy to implement because of the transparent architecture of FlightGear), but didn't find it yet.

Return to “Pre-purchase Questions”