FSX and Existing Runway Alignments with Orbx installed

This forum answers all questions about products before you decide to become a subscriber.

Moderator: Ian

EDZET9428

FSX and Existing Runway Alignments with Orbx installed

Post by EDZET9428 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:11 pm

I am considering a subscription to Navigraph but maybe my understanding of how FSX works is getting in the way of this. I have a large number of Orbx areas and other addon airports installed in my FSX installation, but I also have many default ones in use too. My understanding is that the alignment of runways in the real world changes with the Earths natural shift in magnetic field which results in a real world runways heading shifting a few degrees with time. Hence a few years ago for eg. Runway 27 L and R at EGLL Heathrow was aligned with a heading of 274 degrees. Now it is aligned at 271 degrees. So in the real world, navigational charts and maps need to be updated....................But

In the FSX world however those runways are still aligned at 274 degrees, or whatever the original simulator shipped with, so a more recent chart or updated map/FMS data etc will actually put my simulated approach in jeopardy as dialling in a course of 271 degrees at EGLL will misalign the plane with the runway heading of 274 in FSX, how will a Navigraph subscription prevent this from happening. Have I missed something here ?

Does Navigraph actually change all the airport runway alignments too, both default or addon, is it that smart ?
Eddie Zetlein
An engineer is an individual who multiplies 2 x 2 with a slide rule, gets an answer of 3.999 and says , "sod it, 4 is close enough"

Ian

Re: FSX and Existing Runway Alignments with Orbx installed

Post by Ian » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:29 pm

Hi Eddie,

Navigraph AIRAC updates are for add-ons to FS (FS9 or FSX) and do not update FS itself.

So whilst the add-ons will show real life data, FS may well be out of date for certain airports. This could include changed runways, ILS frequencies etc.

There are references in this forum and others to add-on scenery and AFCAD editing programs to change data in the FS databases. These are on a per-airport, manual basis.

You may also find suitable Flight Simulator Magnetic Variation updates at http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids.html .

Cheers
Ian

EDZET9428

Re: FSX and Existing Runway Alignments with Orbx installed

Post by EDZET9428 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:57 pm

Thanks Ian, those programs you linked to look just to be what I'm looking for. Once I have completed the updates I feel confident I will be subscribing very soon. Thanks for making the muddy waters of FS a lot clearer for me. :D

Best Regards Eddie
Eddie Zetlein
An engineer is an individual who multiplies 2 x 2 with a slide rule, gets an answer of 3.999 and says , "sod it, 4 is close enough"

Return to “Pre-purchase Questions”