Desktop app navigraph 8 feedback

As a pilot, the more information the better. Navigraph Chart 8 provides just that. After using the new GUI just 3 or 4 times I easily got the hang of the features and functionality. Just one more feature I would suggest you integrate into this desktop app, Simbrief OFP. That would make this tool the ultimate one-stop-shop app for simmers.

1 Like

As a person with vision impairment, running a 1440 desktop, I was happy to see bolder bigger letters. But the route displayed at the top of the screen is now in smaller font than version 7, and is difficult for me to see. There is lots of space, can we have bigger fonts across the top for those with vision problems. I used to use PFPX but the font size was so tiny I gave up on it and was glad to find Navigraph.

Maybe this is an inter-generational thing about how folks learn but I am still waiting for a manual to show the workflow for using Charts 8 as some things about the interface do not make intuitive sense to me. Icons are unfortunately unique to each developer and each program, and are not intuitive until explained. Icons are like Egyptian hieroglyphics with meaning associated by the person who created them and understood only by communication or more arduously by learning the context by hit and miss.

Still do not understand what the function of the icon adjacent to the route that looks like an Outlook icon to write an email. I click and the route changes to text but I cannot copy it or insert anything. The purpose of that same “write icon” in the route planning section remains mysterious to me.

Greg

Isn’t it funny, how only positive feedback is perceived as constructive criticism? Other customers, wishing to not use v8 are apparently unconstructive.

Thanks for clarification, just canceled my subscription.

Thanks for your feedback …

Happy flying and have a nice sunday
Richard

If I maximize the desktop app, it is not maximized the next run. Can the app please remember the maximized state?

Import from SimBrief is hidden under Import Flight. And then after that one has to highlight one and then at the bottom click Import and Open. There should just be a button Import from SimBrief in the main program. And then a double-click to actually import and open it. Currently, it involves too many clicks.

If I import a SimBrief flightplan, it includes a star and arrival runway. And yet, when I select to show the available approaches, it just displays all of them for all stars and all runways. Which looks like a big mess. Can there not be an automatic filter to initially show only those approaches actually making sense based on star and arrival runway. Maybe with an option to show all of them if the user wants them.

Export Flightplan with the FS2020 option creates weird filenames.

Even if you remove the .pln. .pln, the created file will have an extra dot in its name.

I have been using Navigraph since 2008 - yes, set up my account in April 2008.

I must say, your reply is totally inappropriate, unfortunately.

“Treat every customer like they were your only customer”.

Hi,

We monitor and listen to all feedback, in this thread and others. We might not respond to every post as it has been a busy week. But, in general, we need to move forward. We can’t maintain old platforms, it is just not feasible. So keeping the old Charts system running is not an option. It could not support the features we have on our roadmap.

Yes we would prefer a little more constructive feedback to know what you are reacting too. ”Too cluttered” is quite subjective. Are there specific parts of the UI that are better, and that are worse? If you provide some ideas about how to improve it is easier for us to resolve problems and remove friction.

Kind regards,

Stephen

Ah… I begin to see the bigger picture. Still, as the vendor/seller, you must resist allowing customers/users to frustrate you into making wrong responses.

Charts 8 is definitely different (way different from when I used to buy credits so as to buy/update area maps and approach charts…LOL).

Having now used it on several flights, I am beginning to better appreciate it. I have also made some suggestions - maybe they will be looked into.

All in all, I thank you @stephen for giving a much better reply to that particular user.

@NDWing Please excuse my posting, appologize. It shouldn’t be sarcastic, I only want to be friendly and say thanks for the feedback, which is also important for us.

Read my posting here, that’s what I have mean with it:

Sorry again and sorry to all, when I was not polite enough. Appologize!

Cheers
Richard

just something i would like to see:

i messed up: appr at origin , not destination… also view and or choose, makes more sense

Hi,

I appreciate your ideas and feedback but I’m afraid I don’t understand well. What do the buttons do? What operation is taking 5 clicks in the current app?

If you describe some problematic or cumbersome operations/flows in the new app, ideally illustrated with screenshots, it is much easier for us to understand where to remove friction.

Regards,

Stephen

Since release I’ve had considerable time using the desktop + ipad charts simultaneously.

I’m still - very pleased with what you’ve done with the 1.) UI overhaul, 2.) Features here not present in v7, 3.) Overall maturity of the NV charts in an amazingly polished application after first release. The minor issues don’t overshadow the major accomplishments in V8, and I don’t run into the same problems that are relentlessly complained or whined about I can’t resolve on my own - requiring only a little patience to overcome. It’s worth it in the meantime as newer minor revisions come out resolving some of those issues.

Fantastic job and I can honestly say I’ve kept my production version of foreflight closed because of what V8 brings to the table. Keep up the fine work! This is an outstanding release and a better companion charts bag to the sim than V7 was. Cheers! :beer:

1 Like

is this a joke?

is here a post missing?

i remember a post here where someone described the too many clicks too open a flight plan created via simbrief.

Currentlly, open the app … it loads the last one…unload …import…import from file/simbrief…choose the flightplan…import and open…

do you even sim?

and what the buttons do… I described it

don’t bother to answer … because i am not going to bother and visit this forum again…

… i don’t know of what new functions and features people here are talking about …?!

you have added metar and vfr … that’s all …

metar isn’t up to date and vfr is only interesting if you are flying outsiede the us…

you are providing ifr charts for flightsim … that’s your whole business

and currently the best solutions you offer are licensed or bought in (jeppesen,simbrief)

and the only one you have to actually produce yourself is just not worth it.

We will reduce one click from the Simbrief import when we remove the bottom button “Import and Open” and put one button on each Simbrief flight. So it will be 3 clicks from the clean state when no flight is loaded (Import Flight, Import from SimBrief, Import and Open).

Again, I don’t understand your sketch, but if you think my question is a joke then don’t bother replying. This type of feedback, with no acceptance of a followup discussion is of absolutely no help to us. Even if it is clear in your head, you must convey your idea so others understand. For example - Is this a sketch of the top bar where the route/waypoints are? Is it a sketch of the left side airport panel? Is it a completely new section? Are the buttons links to the different chart sections, or are they depicting the various parts of your existing route, like the current route “pills” in the top? Basing your sketch from screenshots of the current app would probably make it easier to understand, hence my suggestion. “Appr at the destination in case of a failure and immediate return, can be left blank” - I am sorry but… it’s not clear at all.

As you might imagine, we will not consider going back to the drawing board to redo the app from scratch. We have been running a 1,100 user beta test over the last 5 months, and we have gotten tremendous constructive feedback (positive and of course negative) and adjusted the app to what you see now. If it is not in your liking then I respect that, it is your choice, and you seem to have made up your mind already.

Kind regards,

Stephen

tbh using just winds to select runways is usually wrong… so many (most) airports have sop’s in place that will override light winds. prime example, klax. they almost never depart to the east. i mean like maybe 3 days a year.

check the real world atis or look at fr24 or flightaware to see whats actually happening irl

We’re planning to include real world ATIS and NOTAMs to the app.

Stephen

Ugh! What happened to the map view? Before I was able to just see a world map with my flight overlapped on it. Now the view options are just IFR Low, IFR High, and VFR. Those views are great but sometimes I liked to just shut them all off and use as a moving map. Unless I’m missing something that ability is no longer available.

Thank-you. I also from time to time x-check with FR24 and when flying in Canada us this NavCan site to confirm real world active Runways – https://extranetapps.navcanada.ca/ois/ois.aspx.

When you say real word atis, what do you mean?

Regards.

I figured out the interface pretty quickly. I like that I can show and hide elements and customise all three view types. Can I ask that all airspaces be clickable and labelled? Perhaps even differentiated better too. For example, restricted or military training airspaces just appear as pink shaded rings with no differentiation (even though they have different restrictions) and not clickable. Same with VFR airspaces, even when you make them shown, they aren’t clickable or labelled.
Take a look around Fort Rucker (KOZR) for an example. The MTA to the west is named, but not clickable, and the restricted airspace to the north (R-2103) is just an un named pink ring (also unclickable). If you were to look at the same location on a sectional, the two areas are differentiated in colour and also have different patterns compared to regular airspaces.
If you show the VFR airspace, a dashed magenta area appears, but it has no details, isn’t clickable and can’t be seen in the right click menu.

https://datis.clowd.io/

or through other apps… even calling the phone numbers (recordings) listed in the faa chart supplement publications

or listening to them on https://www.liveatc.net/